Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Wheel fitment

Old 09-28-2008, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Wheel fitment

I own a 2002 GC Limited. I upgraded to the 17" Torqued Chrome Wheel package when I purchased the vehicle. Due to the harsh NE winters, the chrome is peeling off of the rims and I have decided to purchase new wheels. I have been searching e-bay for take off deals and I am not sure what to bid on. I called my dealer to check fitment and he told me to stick with 99-04 wheels because the newer jeeps have have changed. The 02 bolt pattern is 5x5 with 50.8mm offset. The tires are 235 65 R17. I found a set from a 2008 Wrangler that has a 5x5 bolt pattern on a 17" rims. The tires are a little different 245 75 r17 but they are all the same size so I don't care that they are not the exact replacements. I assume the offset will be different but they should my car because the bottom line is they are both 17" Jeep rims with a 5x5 bolt pattern. Some posts say they will fit , others say the won't. I figured let me check in the Jeep forum because I am sure someone in here will know the answer. Thanks.....
Old 09-28-2008, 08:57 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2003
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L, 63mm TB, FIPK, Gibson Exhaust

That is a 31.5" tire, it will not fit without major trimming or at least a 3" lift and some minor trimming, here is a great tool

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

29" is about as big as you can go in diameter with no lift and no trimming, a 30" will rub a tiny bit without no lift but fits great with a 2" BB
Old 09-28-2008, 09:04 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 5.2

I hope someone who has tried it tells you, but I would bet on the fact they are the same. If there factory wheels the offset would probably be the same as well. You would want to stay with 17.
I don't know where you get the 5X5. My 04 has 4 3/4X5 bolt pattern. My 93 has a 4 /14X5, which I think is the same as my 94 mini van. I don't have a 1/2 ton here right now but I think the 04 has the same pattern as the dodge pickups. It really seems silly to me that they made so many different ones.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:08 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by RRAM
I hope someone who has tried it tells you, but I would bet on the fact they are the same. If there factory wheels the offset would probably be the same as well. You would want to stay with 17.
I don't know where you get the 5X5. My 04 has 4 3/4X5 bolt pattern. My 93 has a 4 /14X5, which I think is the same as my 94 mini van. I don't have a 1/2 ton here right now but I think the 04 has the same pattern as the dodge pickups. It really seems silly to me that they made so many different ones.
Sir you are mistaken on this one, all 99 - 04 Grand Cherokees are 5x5 bolt patterns, see this link wjjeeps.com

Secondly when you list bolt patterns the number of lugs is first 5 and then the spacing is second, 5 or 4.5". The spacing is measured from the center of one lug to the second lug away using the center of the first and the far edge of the second. Another good reference https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

No question here and yes jeeps of the same year are different.

http://wjjeeps.com/wheels.htm

All 16x7.0" Wheels: Backspacing = 6.0" Offset = 50.8mm Bolt pattern = 5x5 (5x127mm)

All 17x7.5" Wheels: Backspacing = 6.25" Offset = 50.8mm Bolt pattern = 5x5 (5x127mm)

Lugnuts: 1/2" x 20 Torque: 90-120 ft. lbs.

15" aluminum wheels will not fit it, too thick and will will rub rotor, but 15" steel wheels will with at least 4" of backspacing (might have to take just a shaving off teh rotor to clear with a grinder, I had to remove a little on mine. Probably due to differnt casting thickness, you only remove maybe a 1/8" and it is not near the pistons so no structural integrit is compromised. Cragar Soft 8s are a popular choice for a real cheap steel rim.

I have 17" aluminum wheels and tires as in my signature for DD, I have 31x10.5x15s on soft 8s for winter and wheeling so I know they fit on a 3" lift, no way either fit on a stock WJ without trimming.

Last edited by tsconver; 09-28-2008 at 09:40 AM.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:24 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 5.2

I am only mistaken on the where they measure the 5 bolt patterns from. I went center to center but on 5 bolt for some reason they go center to outside the opposing bolt hole.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:32 AM

Model: Cherokee

I have that link for tires sizes by jeep and that is where I got my info from for my torqued chrome wheels. I followed everything up until that last sentence. My understanding from the replies so far is that the rim would fit just the tires size being different on the 2008 wheels would not fit unless I added a 3" lift? If I purchased a set from ebay and replaced the tires with the original size, in theory I would be all set. I am looking to avoid dropping $1000 at tire rack or somewhere for new rims and tires so even winning an auction for the wheels and putting on tires that would fit may still be cheaper in the long run. I am interested if anyone else ran into this problem and if they did, what their solution was.......Is there a place in this forum where other Jeep owners sells parts?
Old 09-28-2008, 09:39 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by cipsta1971
I have that link for tires sizes by jeep and that is where I got my info from for my torqued chrome wheels. I followed everything up until that last sentence. My understanding from the replies so far is that the rim would fit just the tires size being different on the 2008 wheels would not fit unless I added a 3" lift? If I purchased a set from ebay and replaced the tires with the original size, in theory I would be all set. I am looking to avoid dropping $1000 at tire rack or somewhere for new rims and tires so even winning an auction for the wheels and putting on tires that would fit may still be cheaper in the long run. I am interested if anyone else ran into this problem and if they did, what their solution was.......Is there a place in this forum where other Jeep owners sells parts?
as long as the rims match or are close to the same backspacing as factory they should fit. If you need to change the back spacing always increase it. Which means get a backsapcing that is a smaller measurement than factory. Since factory is 6" you could use 5" or 4", etc but not 7". INcreasing BS means you are moving the outside edge of the rim away from the hub/caliper creating more space. BS is measured from the inside edge of the rim to the inside mounting surface of the wheel, where it contacts the hub.

Hope that makes since.