Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Estimates for 89 xj head replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 l6
Default Estimates for 89 xj head replacement

I was curious if any of you guys could estimate me a price on head replacements. Im unsure if that is what i need but i assume that it is
Old 03-11-2015, 12:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Not sure of price on an '89, but why are you assuming it needs to be replaced?
Old 03-11-2015, 12:58 PM

Engine: 4.0 l6

Im attempting to "restore" this jeep and I only know a little bit about auto mechanics so I decided that this was the best place to come to learn how to repair the vehicle. And the reason I think this is what is wrong is because I was told by a family member that that is what they think is wrong. I havent pulled the motor or anything yet. Im just going off of what I heard.

Last edited by MikeIsMaxwell41; 03-11-2015 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0 renix

Originally Posted by MikeIsMaxwell41
Im attempting to "restore" this jeep and I only know a little bit about auto mechanics so I decided that this was the best place to come to learn how to repair the vehicle. And the reason I think this is what is wrong is because I was told by a family member that that is what they think is wrong. I havent pulled the motor or anything yet. Im just going off of what I heard.
Well that isn't even close to enough of a reason to replace a head. How many miles? Have you done a wet/dry comp test yet? Have you done a tune up yet? (wires/plugs/grounds/cap/rotor/cruiser's tips?)

Does it run good? Still has some *****?

A new head, remanned, may be ~$400? I don't know exactly, but to get it done at a shop will cost a lot more on top of that in labor, unless you plan on doing it yourself.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996

I don't know your family member, but unless they really know what they are talking about AND really had a good look at your Jeep, i.e. ran the compression tests, drove it, listened to it run and knew what symptoms you might have experienced.... then all it is, is another opinion from a well meaning person, but an opinion that I wouldn't put much stock in.

You only know a little? Okay... so did every good mechanic, at one time. My suggestion... learn everything you can about diagnostics, before worrying about how much a new head will cost. Plenty of time to worry about how much Money you will dump in to this vehicle... but learn some general maintenance and how to figure out what's wrong with it first. You don't want to be one of those guys who just throws parts at a problem, hoping you're guessing right... especially when you're talking about the cost of a head.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

To answer the original question, $1200-2500 at shops in my area.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0L I6 "Power Tech"

I was curious if any of you guys could estimate me a price on head replacements. Im unsure if that is what i need but i assume that it is
My 89 Laredo 4x4 is in the shop right now having the head reworked... quoted me $500 bucks in South MS. Granted this isn't to replace it, just to rework. I do agree with the other guys, you need to do the compression test to know for sure if you need to replace the head. I spent a couple nights chasing down wires and sensors until I finally rented a gauge from the local parts store. Whole thing took me about 35 minutes to do wet and dry test, and it let me know I had 0 compression on cyl 4. Super easy. Found a great guide on google, watched youtube videos and I had some help from Cruiser and DFlinstone.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: l6

if my family member told me that, I'd work with them to help me replace it. If possible. My ol man brought me into the mechanic side of life and have learned everything with him since I was a young'n (still am). If they're so certain on head replacement, then I'd assume they'd be capable of replacing one. Manual labor is the best way to learn anything. And it saves you lots of money. If I were you, I'd start small. A simple tune up does those 89's well (I have one; 260k)
Old 03-12-2015, 01:36 AM

Year: 1994

Locating and buying a Factory Service Manual, for your year/model, like a used one off of Ebay etc, will be some of the best money you can spend. Saves time, money, and temper !

It also helps sort out all the opinions you get from friends & relatives too !