Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Engine Wont Start

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Engine Wont Start

I have replaced my ignition control module, ignition coil, distributor cap and rotor, and spark plugs. The jeep turns over but the engine does not start. The starter and battery is working fine. Not sure what to do next to solve my problem. Please help! 89 Jeep Cherokee 6 Cylinders L4.0L
Old 06-19-2012, 12:25 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 ho

Are you sure the timing is right? If everything is hooked up correctly, and you have coil hooked up for sure, it should fire... Wires on distributor in correct firing order? I know I forgot to hook up my coil last time, had me stumped and then I realized what I did...
Old 06-19-2012, 12:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995 &2000
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by axshields
I have replaced my ignition control module, ignition coil, distributor cap and rotor, and spark plugs. The jeep turns over but the engine does not start. The starter and battery is working fine. Not sure what to do next to solve my problem. Please help! 89 Jeep Cherokee 6 Cylinders L4.0L
check for fuel or spark?? always the first two things to check if no spark check your cps,then cam sensor,then fuses and grounds and if no fuel check grounds at tank and power to pump and report back.also is it just turning over? or clicking?or nothing at all?
Old 06-19-2012, 12:30 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 ho

I guess I assumed that it ran before, and you were just doing a tune up...
Old 06-19-2012, 03:24 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Here's where you start:

Renix CPS Testing and Adjusting

Renix CPSs have to put out a strong enough signal to the ECU so that it will provide spark.
Most tests for the CPS suggest checking it for an ohms value. This is unreliable and can cause some wasted time and aggravation in your diagnosis of a no-start issue as the CPS will test good when in fact it is bad.
The problem with the ohms test is you can have the correct amount of resistance through the CPS but it isn’t generating enough voltage to trigger the ECU to provide spark.
Unplug the harness connector from the CPS. Using your voltmeter set on AC volts and probing both wires in the connector going to the CPS, crank the engine over. It won’t start with the CPS disconnected.
You should get a reading of .5 AC volts.
If you are down in the .35 AC volts range or lower on your meter reading, you can have intermittent crank/no-start conditions from your Renix Jeep. Some NEW CPSs (from the big box parts stores) have registered only .2 AC volts while reading the proper resistance!! That’s a definite no-start condition. Best to buy your CPS from Napa or the dealer.
Sometimes on a manual transmission equipped Renix Jeep there is an accumulation of debris on the tip of the CPS. It’s worn off clutch material and since the CPS is a magnet, the metal sticks to the tip of the CPS causing a reduced voltage signal. You MAY get by with cleaning the tip of the CPS off.
A little trick for increasing the output of your CPS is to drill out it’s mounting holes with the first drill bit that just won’t fit through the original holes. Then, when mounting it, hold the CPS down as close to the flywheel as you can while tightening the bolts.

Revised 11-29-2011
Old 06-21-2012, 06:30 AM

Default Thank You!

This is an outstanding forum! Your replies helped a lot. The CPS had a broken wire, so I replaced it. The Jeep is working fine! Again, "Kudos" to the fine people on this site.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995 &2000

This is an outstanding forum! Your replies helped a lot. The CPS had a broken wire, so I replaced it. The Jeep is working fine! Again, "Kudos" to the fine people on this site.
Glad we could help and glad you got it fixed!
Old 06-21-2012, 08:54 AM

Now you need to do the ground refreshing, ICU/coil refreshing etc. Just get that stuff out of the way. Little time, familiarize yourself with the Jeep, and hardly any money.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Moved to OEM Tech.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:27 AM

Year: 90

Love when there's a happy ending
Old 07-15-2012, 02:54 PM

Default Engine Starts but Stalls and Cut Off

My engine starts on a dime but after a few minutes it cuts off. I changed the fuel filter and it's still cutting off.

Before I change the fuel pump, is there any other place I should look to solve the problem?

I would think the jeep wouldn't even start if the fuel pump wasn't working properly.

Please help!
Old 07-15-2012, 06:59 PM

My engine starts on a dime but after a few minutes it cuts off. I changed the fuel filter and it's still cutting off.

Before I change the fuel pump, is there any other place I should look to solve the problem?

I would think the jeep wouldn't even start if the fuel pump wasn't working properly.

Please help!
See Post # 15.

Last edited by cruiser54; 07-15-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:03 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by cruiser54

From Joe Peters and well stated. Sounds harsh but just makes sense:
"Let’s play a game.

You pretend that you are the only one that knows what year/engine/model, etc that you are asking about.

We will all pretend you never asked a question until you provide at least the bare minimum of information about your vehicle".
He did post it, it's in his original post
Old 07-15-2012, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Fallen
He did post it, it's in his original post
Oh crap. I thought it was a hijacker!! OOOPS!
Old 07-15-2012, 07:07 PM

Please help!
The fuel pump ballast resistor is a 3" long white ceramic deal with a wire plugged into each end of it. Located on the driver side inner fender near the air cleaner. Make sure the connections are tight.

Quick Reply: Engine Wont Start