Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Engine Whine, Anybody got an idea ? answer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Engine Whine, Anybody got an idea ? answer?

High pitch whine when cranking and running for first 15 min of driving. Continues to whine on acceleration and sound continues in all gears including P. Whine changes with RPM. Whine seems to be louder in cold weather. Please tell me my trans isn’t failing. This is my daily!

Last edited by ChiliRedXJ; 03-07-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:15 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Is PS pump full ?
Old 03-07-2019, 11:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

x2. Power steering fluid level and pump is first thing to check. Also inspect the condition of the fluid in the reservoir after running for a while then shutting down....see if it is frothy or has a lot of bubbles (it shouldn't). If it whines in Park it is probably not related to the transmission.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

x3 - check power steering.

The whine you describe definitely sounds more like an accessory whine than anything else. You're driving a 20+ year old vehicle - it wouldn't be surprising that any of the accessory items has a bearing that's going.
(By accessory I mean any pulley driven thing attached to the engine - PS pump, alternator, water pump, etc.)

If the PS isn't low, open the hood and listen on start-up - if nothing is obviously making noise, you can spray a little wd-40 on each of the pulleys (watch out for backsplash) one at a time - if the noise changes then you've found the culprit. Replace as necessary.

The cold generally brings out the noise in a bearing that's on the way out. Once the engine heats up and the metal expands and grease starts moving around, the sound can go away.

Like Jordan said, the fact that the sound is constant regardless of transmission state is a good sign that it's something else and not the transmission.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

Torque converter. Ignored mine for the last 60k. Serve some cheese with the whine.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey17
Is PS pump full ?
yes PS is full and fluid color is correct. I have a video recording of the sounds making but I cannot figure out how to post.
Attached Files
Old 03-19-2019, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
x2. Power steering fluid level and pump is first thing to check. Also inspect the condition of the fluid in the reservoir after running for a while then shutting down....see if it is frothy or has a lot of bubbles (it shouldn't). If it whines in Park it is probably not related to the transmission.
Originally Posted by PatHenry
x3 - check power steering.

The whine you describe definitely sounds more like an accessory whine than anything else. You're driving a 20+ year old vehicle - it wouldn't be surprising that any of the accessory items has a bearing that's going.
(By accessory I mean any pulley driven thing attached to the engine - PS pump, alternator, water pump, etc.)

If the PS isn't low, open the hood and listen on start-up - if nothing is obviously making noise, you can spray a little wd-40 on each of the pulleys (watch out for backsplash) one at a time - if the noise changes then you've found the culprit. Replace as necessary.

The cold generally brings out the noise in a bearing that's on the way out. Once the engine heats up and the metal expands and grease starts moving around, the sound can go away.

Like Jordan said, the fact that the sound is constant regardless of transmission state is a good sign that it's something else and not the transmission.

Ended up being the torque converter!
Old 03-19-2019, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by 97grand4.0
Torque converter. Ignored mine for the last 60k. Serve some cheese with the whine.
You ended up being the correct guesser. Jesus, how did u manage that ? I made it about 250-300 miles after the noise started. the TC failed and threw shrapnel and destroyed my pump as well. Talk about a mess.