Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Engine trouble please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Engine trouble please help

Hi I have a 1988 cherokee inline 6 manual transmission 4x4 around 120000 original miles. I purchased this jeep about 3 months ago. It ran fine until a few days ago. I have put several hundred miles on it with it running good and then out of nowhere it started running funky then bad within a few minutes. I was on a long road trip and all of the sudden the belt started squeaking a little which I figured no problem it's just getting old or a tiny bit loose. Then within 5 miles on the freeway it started sputtering like when you are running out of gas. I was about 170 miles from home with work the next morning. I stopped on the side of the freeway because I didn't want to make a small problem worse but also needed to get home. This random Good Samaritan stopped and looked at my engine and tinkered with things for over an hour. He couldn't find any vacuum leaks or anything and said the engine just wasn't getting enough fuel for some reason. He told me the car would make it home and then I could figure it out the next day. I went for it and it ran and had power and seemed fine for probably 10 minutes at a time but would then start jumping and sputtering for another 10 minutes. There were no bad or weird sounds at any time. I made it home so that was 170 miles driving like that. I replaced the fuel filter when I got home and put some fuel additive/cleaner. It seemed like the car was running good for about 15 minutes on the freeway then it started happening again. Then the other morning when I was going to drive it to church it started reving super high after about 1 mile like I had the gas pedal floored. It freaked me out and so I turned around and went home. I don't have a ton of money to give it to someone who will conveniently find a 1000 dollars worth of things wrong. Also my check engine isn't working so I couldn't check codes. So if anybody can think of things I can check or replace somewhat cheap that would fit the symptoms I would be very appreciative. Thanks. -luke Luke.jobbins@gmail.com
Old 11-02-2013, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993

if it was me i wouldve done what you did with the fuel filter. i would recommend cleaning the throttle body very well and it only costs about 2$ for some throttle cleaner and give it a go. if it still does it i would check plugs /wires/car/rotor for malfunctions. fuel injector cleaning like a seafoam or something like that would cost at the most about $80?(at a shop)

start with cleaning the throttle body though!!! hold the throttle wide open and get a little steel brush.... spray cleaner in and scrub away. when you start the car put the gas pedal to the floor and start at the same time. release the gas pedal once it starts to run.

let me know how youmake out
Old 11-02-2013, 04:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

You need to start by checking the fuel pressure at the fuel rail with a mechanical pressure gauge. You should have 39psi + or - 5psi.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Welcome to the forum....
A lot of your problems can be found by going to cruiser54s' page lots of good stuff there.
basics on a 87 to 1990 cherokee;
You have the pleasure(or displeasure) of owning a renix model.
These models have no service engine light of any sort, no codes no nothing except your ear and help.
common problems;
MAP sensor, bad grounds(or lack there of), ballast resistor, ignition switch likes to burn up, TPS adjustment, CPS, and having an 88 I believe you have something in the distributor and on the coil that likes to go bad.
The stock injectors WILL leak at some point and can start a fire.
The intake exhaust bolts back out causing a high idle condition, mainly the ones at the back of the motor.
The engine timing is NOT adjustable, the ECU has its settings and cannot be adjusted.
The primary tools needed to deal with a RENIX are;
Hand vac pump and or gauge
Voltmeter a must have
pressure gauge that reads at least 100lb
all associated wrenches and basic tools.
Most of the problems you will have with your JEEP cost less than 50$ to fix.
Good luck and visit cruisers page for more technical info.