Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Engine swap problems 2000 cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Engine swap problems 2000 cherokee

Hey. I bought a 2000 cherokee a few weeks ago. We knew the head gasket was blown, caramel in the engine cap and oil and prestone mixed. I was impatiant and drove it pretty much to its breaking point. Tge engin got hot and started making noise, a sort of clanking. Anyhoo, parked it and attacked the engine. Bought a 97 laredo thibking it was compatible but turns out that has a ditrubuter where as mine has a coil thingny. Wd webt to a scarp yard snd got a head gasket off a 2002 jeep. All fits. Finished everything.
Had issues with the tranny oil line so changed that, no issues with that any more.

​​​​​​Today i took it out for a test drive. I got about 100 meters from home and it started bucking. Not bad. Not anything to worry about si kept on driving around the block. At a stop sing it went nuts on the bucking so i parked it.

Heat was fine, oil was fine, rev was good. No smoke. So my dad told me to play with the timing. Which i did but the bucking didnt stop. It didnt seem to fix my timing either but what ever. I then proceedwd to change my spark plugs. I started it again for like 6 seconds, still bucked. Then it just wouldnt start after. So i git a boost which worked for 15 seconds and just stoped. We noticed the red wires from the battery are just done. need new ones for sure. I drove it from the street i was on, did two stops sings and my dash light up, then dimed and the jeep died. Is my problem just from the batterie ? I had a sikilar issue with my civic and it was alternater and battery related.

Also, i have two oxygen sensors pluged in at the bottom of the jeeo but at the top ish middl part maybe i have two other aensors. We dont know if theyre needed or not.. ?
The jeep worked before. Started after the swap and didnt buck and just decided to act uo today. Ideas on my problem ? Thank you !
Old 05-18-2017, 09:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Piinky.xox
Wd webt to a scarp yard snd got a head gasket off a 2002 jeep.

???

You got a head gasket? Are you saying you took a used head gasket off a junkyard Jeep and put it on your engine?
Old 05-18-2017, 09:59 PM

I did as a temporary fix. I got an engine head sorry, took the gasketbthat was still on it. Sorry about that.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

Your engine is probably toast. It's likely not a head gasket either. Cracked head more likely. And you do know a new gasket isn't to expensive. Why on earth would you even think about putting a used gasket on?
Old 05-18-2017, 10:52 PM
CF Veteran

. We knew the head gasket was blown, caramel in the engine cap and oil and prestone mixed. I was impatiant and drove it pretty much to its breaking point. Tge engin got hot and started making noise, a sort of clanking.

There it is. Your engine is shot. Gone. Done. Finished.

You wasted time, effort, and money fooling around with junkyard parts.

I guess it's just as well you didn't throw a way a new head gasket on this lost cause.

Keep doing what you're doing, you'll keep getting similar results. OR, you could ask for competent advice and then follow it, learning something in the process.

By the way, yes, the 02 sensors are needed, when you rebuild the thing.

Last edited by BlueRidgeMark; 05-18-2017 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Hey. I bought a 2000 cherokee a few weeks ago. We knew the head gasket was blown, caramel in the engine cap and oil and prestone mixed. I was impatiant and drove it pretty much to its breaking point. Tge engin got hot and started making noise, a sort of clanking.
Its dead, Jim. The head cracked, coolant mixed with the oil and wiped out the bearings. You knew the head gasket (or head, doesnt matter now) was bad, and you kept driving the poor thing. Overheating leads to misfires, which are very very bad for an engine. The cat most likely got cooked since you kept driving it, ruining it as well. Maybe. They can literally meltdown on the inside and plug shut if they get too hot, too often.

Old 05-19-2017, 01:16 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Bought a 97 laredo thibking it was compatible but turns out that has a ditrubuter where as mine has a coil thingny. Wd webt to a scarp yard snd got a head gasket off a 2002 jeep. All fits. Finished everything.
It's not entirely clear what you have done here. Did you swap in the '97 engine? Or did you just change the head gasket on the 2000 engine? Or did you change the head gasket on the '97 engine for some reason?

Please take your time responding. We seem to have a little bit of a language barrier.

We noticed the red wires from the battery are just done. need new ones for sure.
Then you should probably fix them. The vehicle can't run without its electrical system.

Is my problem just from the batterie ?
There's no way to know that. You need to systematically fix the problems you know about so that they're not confusing the issue.

Also, i have two oxygen sensors pluged in at the bottom of the jeeo but at the top ish middl part maybe i have two other aensors. We dont know if theyre needed or not.. ?
Yes! They are absolutely necessary and have to be in good working order for the engine to run right. In fact, the upstream O2 sensors are more important than the downstream sensors.

The jeep worked before. Started after the swap and didnt buck and just decided to act uo today. Ideas on my problem ? Thank you !
I'm guessing the check engine light is on, correct? If so, you need to read the codes to start getting an idea of what has gone wrong. You need an OBDII scan tool. You can buy one locally at Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, Sears or an auto parts store, but if you have a smart phone you can buy an adapter and run an app. For Android, you want to buy a bluetooth OBDII adapter and use the Torque Lite app (free). For Iphone, you want a wifi OBDII adapter and DashCommand ($20). You can order the adapters from Amazon. The most popular seems to be the BAFX adapters. Once you have the app installed and paired with the adapter on the car, you can read the codes.

Once you read the codes, post the exact code numbers here. Then people might be able to help you a little more. There are a lot of problems that could cause what you describe, so you need to let the engine computer help you narrow that down.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:31 AM

Mk we changed the engine after it blew. We put in a used engine from the laredo 97. The head worked up to the coils then we saw it just wont work. So we went to a scrap yard, got a new engine head and put that on the laredos engine. We used a new gasket. For those of you saying its blown ,duhh, i mentionned knowing thay and cganging the engine. I had two mechanics touch it and atm they cant figure out the problem via phone amd cant come see the jeep. Thank to those just giving attitude rather then helping me woth my problem. And im still wondering whete tge o2 sensor go, thanks for that y'all. Very appreciated. (Sarcastic)
Old 05-19-2017, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by extrashaky
It's not entirely clear what you have done here. Did you swap in the '97 engine? Or did you just change the head gasket on the 2000 engine? Or did you change the head gasket on the '97 engine for some reason?

Please take your time responding. We seem to have a little bit of a language barrier.

Then you should probably fix them. The vehicle can't run without its electrical system.

There's no way to know that. You need to systematically fix the problems you know about so that they're not confusing the issue.

Yes! They are absolutely necessary and have to be in good working order for the engine to run right. In fact, the upstream O2 sensors are more important than the downstream sensors.

I'm guessing the check engine light is on, correct? If so, you need to read the codes to start getting an idea of what has gone wrong. You need an OBDII scan tool. You can buy one locally at Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, Sears or an auto parts store, but if you have a smart phone you can buy an adapter and run an app. For Android, you want to buy a bluetooth OBDII adapter and use the Torque Lite app (free). For Iphone, you want a wifi OBDII adapter and DashCommand ($20). You can order the adapters from Amazon. The most popular seems to be the BAFX adapters. Once you have the app installed and paired with the adapter on the car, you can read the codes.

Once you read the codes, post the exact code numbers here. Then people might be able to help you a little more. There are a lot of problems that could cause what you describe, so you need to let the engine computer help you narrow that down.
oki i shall do that. It seems batterie tbh. My brother thinks alternater or around those lines. I just wanted a second, er, third opinion lol
Old 05-19-2017, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
There it is. Your engine is shot. Gone. Done. Finished.

You wasted time, effort, and money fooling around with junkyard parts.

I guess it's just as well you didn't throw a way a new head gasket on this lost cause.

Keep doing what you're doing, you'll keep getting similar results. OR, you could ask for competent advice and then follow it, learning something in the process.

By the way, yes, the 02 sensors are needed, when you rebuild the thing.
why would you cut right where i say i swaped the engine ? And tell me someyhing i know.......... I wasted notbing. It worked. I swaped the engine to a newer one that wasent blown.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Word of advice since you're new here.

1) Compose your posts clearly and concisely. We are not your "besties" that you're texting. Check your spelling and grammar. This helps avoid confusion with what you're attempting to get across.

2) You get more flies with honey than vinegar. Copping an attitude is not in your best interest. We are here to help but the more seasoned members will remain silent on your issue if you act like a brat and trust me, you want these guys on your side.

Now, as far as what you're experiencing, it seems to be once the jeep gets to operating temp (closed loop) and wants to start reading the o2 sensors, it cannot or is not since they're not installed from what I've gathered. You need to have properly installed and working o2 sensors for the engine to run in closed loop.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:40 PM
Banned

Okay. Now things are making more sense.

NOTE: I edited out part of this post about the 0331 heads after realizing you said in your first post you got a 0331 from a 2002. If you read what I wrote about the 0331 heads before editing, ignore it, because you should be fine.

And im still wondering whete tge o2 sensor go, thanks for that y'all.
If you don't know where they go, is it safe to assume that you don't actually have them installed at the moment? If not, the engine will not run right, and you're almost certainly throwing O2 sensor codes. The computer is looking for signals from those sensors.

This is what your exhaust manifolds and downpipe should look like:

Those upstream sensors are tucked up under the intake manifold. If what you have doesn't look like this, please take a picture and post it so we can see what is different.

Last edited by extrashaky; 05-20-2017 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:14 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Jeepin'_Aint_EZ
Word of advice since you're new here.

1) Compose your posts clearly and concisely. We are not your "besties" that you're texting. Check your spelling and grammar. This helps avoid confusion with what you're attempting to get across.

Bingo. If you are too lazy to make the effort to communicate clearly, don't blame us for misunderstanding your mangled posts.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
Bingo. If you are too lazy to make the effort to communicate clearly, don't blame us for misunderstanding your mangled posts.
I guarantee you that he thought what he wrote was clear. Not everyone is a great communicator. Let's all take a step back for a moment and give him an opportunity to clarify now that he has received some constructive criticism.

Speaker ----> Encoding ----> Transmission ----> Decoding ----> Listener

The problem here is that his brain is encoding his message with different, less precise filters than what we're using to decode it. It's like his transmitter is weak, and we're having to boost the gain on our receiver to make out what he's saying and ask him to repeat the parts we don't catch. There's a lot of noise in his message as well. If he's used to communicating with people with similar filters or people who are accustomed to his broken transmitter, he may not even realize he has a problem.

OP, fix your transmitter. Everyone else, bump up your gain and be patient.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:03 AM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

at no point did op mention if he checked the coil pack for hair line cracks or replaced it