Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Engine mounts on my 95 grand

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Engine mounts on my 95 grand

I'm new here so be gentle!! Lol I have a 95 grand and was told by my ex that I was missing an engine mount and now I have alot of vibration coming from, I believe the engine... Is this something I can fix easily or will I have to take it to a shop and pay a hefty bill???
Old 04-08-2010, 08:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

How mechanically inclined are you? You'll need to support the motor as you replace it.

Not too difficult, know any other Jeepers locally?

Was i gentle enough?
Old 04-08-2010, 09:15 PM

Gentle... Yes thnx!! My ex is the one who got me into jeeps, we have a friend with a shop where this can be done I guess. It's just that the ex has been fixing my truck so far and it seems that every time he thinks he knows what the problem is he kinda ****s it up trying to fix it.. If Im somewhat knowledgable myself I think that I may have better results going about this myself... Can u be so kind as to answer a few questions for me?
Old 04-08-2010, 09:34 PM
CF Veteran

Suuuure... what questions do you have?
Old 04-08-2010, 09:53 PM

Weeeeelllll... How can I figure out it it's my engine mount or mounts? Is there more than two? I'm just assuming it is... Mechanically inclined is a fail for me, I mean I can change my own rotters, brakes change the oil kinda thing... But I know I'll get ripped off if I go to a shop...
Old 04-08-2010, 10:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: Jeepless at the moment
Default You can do it!

Originally Posted by kimbrlee
Weeeeelllll... How can I figure out it it's my engine mount or mounts? Is there more than two? I'm just assuming it is... Mechanically inclined is a fail for me, I mean I can change my own rotters, brakes change the oil kinda thing... But I know I'll get ripped off if I go to a shop...
You should be able to visually see the rubber bushing in the mounts, there will be 2 mount one on either side of the engine, if you can do a brake job you should be able to change the motor mounts. As stated support the engine from underneath and do one side at a time.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:04 PM
CF Veteran

Typically it's the drivers side mount that fails first, but if your getting dirty and have the tools out anyway... now is the time to do them. Bad motor mounts lead to a bad transmission mount. It's a vicious cycle...

Have a hydraulic floor jack of decent size? Good socket set and wrenches?

On the engine mounts, you'll see a large bolt that runs horizontally, typically you'll see the rubber under the sleeve that bolt runs through torn and seperate from the rest of the rubber. This allows the engine to twist under the load.

Grab someone you trust behind a wheel. Have them put in drive with parking brake on and standing on the brake pedal...gently give it some gas as your standing off the side of the fender. You can usually see the assembly lift off itself..

Out of curiosity, where are you located? Maybe we can recommend someone who wont take advantage of a lady at the register. Otherwise i dont think this job should cost more than say $225 total or so at a garage.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:13 AM

Thank-you so much that realy helps me alot!!! I live in Vancouver, B.C.
Things are a lot more expensive here for some reason going to a shop would be quite pricey... But with the right tools and the right helper I feel confident we could getthe job done! How bad is it to drive with the mounts damagedbor missing... I have just noticed it vibrating during idle?

Thanks again for your time! It has helped me tons!!