Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Electrical: Stuff that stays on which shouldn't.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Electrical: Stuff that stays on which shouldn't.

Hey Everyone.

I just got a 2000 jeep cherokee sport. I need it to haul film equipment. (I'm a film student.) I'm having trouble with the starter. I think this is a result of stuff that doesn't turn off.

Now, I need my money for filmstock, so I don't want to spend a whole lot at a mechanic if I can avoid it, so I'm hoping to get some help here.

Now, I think I need a new battery, but that's going to wait until I get the things that are draining the battery fixed.

That seems to be the fact that the clock on the radio doesn't turn off. Also the lights that backlight the window/lock controls on the doors.

What would cause these to stay on? Is it a simple fix? Jumping this thing all the time is getting annoying.

Also, I might have a bad alternator. I got a machine that automatically jumpstarts the jeep off a battery, but it has an 'alternator test light' which always comes up red. I don't know how it can tell I have a bad alternator when the jeep isn't turned on, but maybe it can. ???

Wait, there's more. When I'm at the idle, the battery meter on the dash slowly drops, and something the thing chokes out when I'm backing up in reverse.

Any ideas? This old jeep is pretty beat up, but I really do need it to move my film equipment from the school check out to progect, and more importantly, back to the equipment room.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.o

I would replace your batt first, and make sure batt connections a clean and tight. without proper operating voltage all kinds of things go wrong, also if your current battery is shot , your alt will be constantly fighting to charge, thus shortening is lifespan.
Good luck!
Old 03-28-2010, 06:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Is the radio a stock unit, or is it an aftermarket setup? If it is an aftermarket radio, the install may have been botched and you could have a cross short. Replace the battery first, low voltage can play with some electrical stuff and cause problems.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Bustedback
Is the radio a stock unit, or is it an aftermarket setup? If it is an aftermarket radio, the install may have been botched and you could have a cross short. Replace the battery first, low volyage can play with some electrical stuff and cause problems.

The radio is stock. Also, the battery meter on the dash drops when the vehicle is running at the idle.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Sounds like the alternator is failing. Alternators can also drain a battery even while the engine is not running.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:47 PM

Default same here

I got a 97 cherokee and the issues are hitting me up. I took it to autozone and they check the battery, alternator and all that for you for free. they say my alt is goin out. but the interior loghts and locks are going haywire. i found a shorted wire in the overhead lights. I changed fuses and no complete joy yet. the cargo light and floor lights remain on and locks are goin nuts. I have just disconnecting my battery when i shut it off so the alt will not drain me down to nothing. I'm taking it in to a shop because i can't find anything else wrong. I followed the entire wiring harness and nothing except that one wire. Check the cargo area wires by the spare and that all the fuses are good inside and in the engine compartment. also make sure all the wire are not loose. hope this helps some. I'm goin to change my alt myself. but I gotta replace my rear axle bearings and figure out the damn shorts that are making my truck act crazy. oh and check the door jamb sensors too.