Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

electrical questions and intro

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default electrical questions and intro

first off, how goes it everyone? i am new to the forum but not to the world of frameless jeeps... here is a pic of my former jeep that i used to dd but then i built it up (myself). it had a 2.5/ax5/231 with 4to1 and sye, waggy 44s with 5.38s, spooled rear/lockrite front, leafs f/r, plated unibody and a bunch of tube... yet it still only tipped the scales at 3200lbs

so i got married and bought a house and this thing vanished like many of you know all too well. but, i recently got a 93 country and i am very happily (and slowly) building it into what i want it to be. so far i did a 1.75" spacer up front, my own swaybar discos, added an additional main leaf to the rear and a lift shackle of course and necessary cutting to fit some 31s. oh and i fixed the melting heater switch by installing relays.

anyways, with my introduction out of the way i have some questions for everyone.

-so my aux fan decided to stop working and the engine light came on so i checked the relay and swapped other relays and i just can't get it to come on. so i put a jumper wire in and it works fine but it would seemingly be on all the time if i left it in there so i just watch the temps like a hawk and being in utah winter its not a problem right now anyway.

-when i bought the jeep i also noticed that there is a jumper wire where the starter relay is supposed to be so i did the same, swapped a relay in there and sure enough it doesn't work...

-does this mean my relay/fuse box has a short or what?

-on another seemingly unrelated note once i turn off the ignition the headlights will not turn off when i push in the ****, i have to turn them off before i turn off the jeep or turn the ignition back on and turn them off... weird!

these are not problems i ever had with my old rig and i am not an electrical guy to say the least

thanks for the help, i am excited to join a new community!

Last edited by guest99; 02-14-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:10 PM

here is snowflake by the way... ignore the lunch hour work parking lot poser pic thing haha
Old 02-14-2009, 01:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

Welcome to CF from Washington state.

I bet your Aux. fan problem is the Temp. sensor. There is a temp. sensor on your T-stat housing that controls when the aux. fan turns on. If the fan comes on immediately when you turn on your A/C or Defroat and it works hardwired to the bettery. I'd say your Temp. sensor is bad.

The headlight thing is wierd. My Wifes 2006 KJ Liberty does the same thing. If you shut off the motor with the headlights on. They stay on until you turn the switch off, on, then off again. They work normal otherwise. I think this is some kind of safety feature. So, long as they do turn off, I've left it alone.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

I don't know about the other issues but the lights are on a delay
mine is the same just wait for a few seconds and they will go off
Old 02-14-2009, 01:58 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 I6

As mike37 said it's a delay thing. Mine go to about 1 minute then go off. If the unit is bad you should here a weird buzz when it would be time for them to go out.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:12 PM

okay cool, i was just wondering about the lights thing, its not a big deal. about the fuse/relay box is it a coincidence that two of the items are not working and i just need to address the fan temp sensor and maybe another issue with the starter?

thanks again
Old 02-15-2009, 03:34 PM

its amazing how many new threads appear on here... bump
Old 02-20-2009, 07:21 PM

so a new development, i went and got a temp sensor since they are 16 bucks and installed it and the same thing is going on, the fan will not turn on unless i put a jumper wire in the relay's spot. it also doesn't come on when i turn on the a/c i noticed.

but it gets weird now, i was messing around with the relay and i noticed that if i wiggle it the fan will turn on briefly and so i left the relay in there and moved to the temp sensor connector and i unplugged it and after about 5 sec of it being unplugged the fan turned on and remained on until i plugged it back in... this blows my mind i just don't get it!!!!

any help would be magical, thanks
Old 02-20-2009, 07:31 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

the aux fan only runs when the jeep gets to a cretin temp maybe it is to cold to turn it on right now. and are you using new relays or ones from other spots in the box. you might want to get a Chilton manual it will help you with the wiring.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:32 PM

the fan should turn on at like 218 or something and i am running it hotter than that... and it is supposed to go on when the a/c is switched on regardless, or so i have heard
Old 02-21-2009, 04:58 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

so are you using new or old relays in the place of the jumpers.and it sounds like you might want to check the ground on the relay box