Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Electrical/Lighting problems 92 Cherokee XJ

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation Electrical/Lighting problems 92 Cherokee XJ

So i recently got a 92 cherokee, mostly as a trail rig, but it needs to pass inspection and i cant pass inspections without taillights. My taillights do not work, none of the parking lights front or rear. Also none of the gauge cluster lights work, as well as the lights under the gear selector and transfer case selector. However, my brake lights work, my reverse lights work, my signal lights, and my headlights work. i have searched and searched but havent found a feasible solution. i have checked all fuses and bulbs, all working

1) the jeep has recently had a new head unit installed, so some of the factory stereo wires arent being used.

2) the headliner and all over-head lights have been remove and disconnected (there is only the connector for the map/dome lights) Im new to jeeps, but i read somewhere about someone else having problems after replacing the stereo, but the stereo was replaced before i got the jeep so i dont know if they worked before or not.

could the switch/dimmer **** be the culprit? Or do the map/dome lights have to be connected to complete the circuit for the rest of the lights or something??

Thanks!!

Last edited by amorgan93; 12-20-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:12 AM

bump...anyone?
Old 12-27-2011, 12:52 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 6cyl

Could have a bad ground somewhere. Id start by finding a wire schematic. Then poking around with a MM
Old 12-27-2011, 12:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by amorgan93
So i recently got a 92 cherokee, mostly as a trail rig, but it needs to pass inspection and i cant pass inspections without taillights. My taillights do not work, none of the parking lights front or rear. Also none of the gauge cluster lights work, as well as the lights under the gear selector and transfer case selector. However, my brake lights work, my reverse lights work, my signal lights, and my headlights work. i have searched and searched but havent found a feasible solution. i have checked all fuses and bulbs, all working

1) the jeep has recently had a new head unit installed, so some of the factory stereo wires arent being used.

2) the headliner and all over-head lights have been remove and disconnected (there is only the connector for the map/dome lights) Im new to jeeps, but i read somewhere about someone else having problems after replacing the stereo, but the stereo was replaced before i got the jeep so i dont know if they worked before or not.

could the switch/dimmer **** be the culprit? Or do the map/dome lights have to be connected to complete the circuit for the rest of the lights or something??

Thanks!!
My best guess is that you've got a bad rheostat in your headlight switch and that is the cause of your missing instrument lights. Your gauge cluster, aux control lighting, and shift position indicator lighting are all controlled by the rheostat (dimmer) on the light ****. Perhaps someone can chime in with a solution to bypass it, at least for troubleshooting.

The map/dome light doesn't have to be connected for the rest of the lights to work.

As for your parking lights, diagnosing them is a bit more difficult. I think you're just going to have to trace the wires to the fuse panel and from there to the switch. There are at least a couple harness connectors (one in the driver's side rear quarter panel and one in the driver's side kick panel) that could have come partially undone or become corroded by a leaking door/floorpan/windshield. You may have to start at the bulb and follow the wire until you find the point where it's not getting 12v. Sorry I don't have the magic bullet, I'm fairly new to Jeep but I'm finding that I spend 90% of my time trying to find the problem, 5% muttering obscenities, and the other 5% fixing it. I no longer have time or money for food and when I sleep I always dream about what will have broken overnight. But it's a fun truck
Old 12-27-2011, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by F1Addict
My best guess is that you've got a bad rheostat in your headlight switch and that is the cause of your missing instrument lights. Your gauge cluster, aux control lighting, and shift position indicator lighting are all controlled by the rheostat (dimmer) on the light ****. Perhaps someone can chime in with a solution to bypass it, at least for troubleshooting.

The map/dome light doesn't have to be connected for the rest of the lights to work.

As for your parking lights, diagnosing them is a bit more difficult. I think you're just going to have to trace the wires to the fuse panel and from there to the switch. There are at least a couple harness connectors (one in the driver's side rear quarter panel and one in the driver's side kick panel) that could have come partially undone or become corroded by a leaking door/floorpan/windshield. You may have to start at the bulb and follow the wire until you find the point where it's not getting 12v. Sorry I don't have the magic bullet, I'm fairly new to Jeep but I'm finding that I spend 90% of my time trying to find the problem, 5% muttering obscenities, and the other 5% fixing it. I no longer have time or money for food and when I sleep I always dream about what will have broken overnight. But it's a fun truck
so if the rheostat is in the switch, could i not just replace this switch? i was planning on trying this anyway, as a switch is 20 bucks at autozone.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989

There is a good chance that will fix at least some of your problems and at $20... it's definitely worth a try. Who knows, it may even resolve the issue you're having with your parking lights as there are obviously contacts within that switch that activate them. Let us know.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:06 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Uh, all those lights are on the same fuse.. I believe it's the ParkLamp fuse. Got a hokey trailer wiring plug on there causing a short?
Old 12-27-2011, 12:53 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 93

Everyone is pretty much right id start with the headlight switch then if that dont fix all start back probing connectors and such also trailer hitch wiring connector is a very common cause of issues the dirt in there when mixed with water is a great conductor and will cause all kinds of problems
Old 12-27-2011, 02:57 PM

bought a new switch from autozone today and installed it. Didnt help anything, headlights work, no parking lights, cluster lights, or tail lights. gah
Old 12-27-2011, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Uh, all those lights are on the same fuse.. I believe it's the ParkLamp fuse. Got a hokey trailer wiring plug on there causing a short?
yeah it has a trailer wiring thingy instaleld in the rear but the wires run into the fuse box. going to take a pic now...
Old 12-27-2011, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by amorgan93
bought a new switch from autozone today and installed it. Didnt help anything, headlights work, no parking lights, cluster lights, or tail lights. gah
Did you read Post #7?
Old 12-27-2011, 03:12 PM

Exclamation

Did you read Post #7?
mmhmm ive checked all fuses, and yes there is some sort of trailer light control box thing installed in the back of the jeep, it taps into the taillights, but even when i disconnect where it connects to the taillights, nothing changes.

Originally Posted by claygrassmann
Everyone is pretty much right id start with the headlight switch then if that dont fix all start back probing connectors and such also trailer hitch wiring connector is a very common cause of issues the dirt in there when mixed with water is a great conductor and will cause all kinds of problems
the trailer lights connector is clean inside, however it kinda bent up.

Last edited by amorgan93; 12-27-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:14 PM

So the Park Lamp fuse is good?
Old 12-27-2011, 03:25 PM

So the Park Lamp fuse is good?
yup every fuse in the pictured fusebox and the fusebox under the hood is good.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:58 PM

How did you check the Park Lamp fuse? Visually or with a testlight/voltmeter?

Quick Reply: Electrical/Lighting problems 92 Cherokee XJ