Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Electrical issues causing motor to stall

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 straight six
Default Electrical issues causing motor to stall

Hey guys I have a 2000 cherokee sport with California emissions. I have something funny going on. It started with my tail light on passenger side not working but brake does changed bulb still same thing. Then my radio cuts off and back on then all the sudden my dash cluster started to wig out and then whole jeep just shut off. Wouldn't start back up for a few minutes then I could drive a little further then same thing. Two days ago my battery gauge went down to 12v when I was at a stop light then went back up to 14v when I took off. Sometimes it's just a hair over 14v also this electrical issue has me confused.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:01 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Disassemble and clean all the connections on your battery cables, and the ground points under the hood. Also, have your battery tested at a parts store. Either a weak battery or poor connections can cause flaky symptoms.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:09 PM

I had it tested yesterday said it was good just a little low on cca and alternator was at 14v starter was good I work at advance auto so I tested it on break
Old 03-25-2014, 03:42 PM

So today I was working on jeep changed my battery terminals check grounds and connections on all the wire they look good but still acting up but this time I was in my driveway and I would turn the key to on and nothing worked but the door buzzer I tried to put it into neutral still nothing at all this is starting to really bug me
Old 03-25-2014, 05:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

Can't tell much by looking at grounds. MUST be freshened. Here's more.
-----------------------------------------------------
Grounds can be the root cause of many electrical gremlins. Refreshing grounds is NEVER a bad idea, and the investment of your time in this procedure is always well worth it!

You can't tell much of anything by looking at ground connections!! You must remove, scrape, clean until shiny the cable/wire ends and whatever they bolt to. Be sure to remove all paint from any ground connections.

Start with the one on the back corner of the head, and where it attaches to the firewall, as it deteriorates over time and is an area that makes it susceptible to damage. Best to replace that woven cable with a #4 or #2 gauge cable. You can attach the one end to the intake manifold if you would like.

Next go over to the engine dipstick tube stud. Remove the nut and clean the wire ends and scrape the block until shiny at the stud. Reattach tightly.

If you are so inclined, add at least a #6 cable from the negative terminal of your battery to one of the bolts on your radiator support.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:47 PM

Most of the grounds were cleaned and still having the problem I just got done cleaning them
Old 03-25-2014, 06:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

Sound like your cluster is failing or your computer is failing. FWI failure of 1 will often take out the other. A cooked charging/power circuit in the PCM will randomly cause anything connected to the PCM to fail, or seem to fail. Just went through this on my daughters ZJ.. after replacing every sensor ( TPS and CPS multiple times, kept failing after a couple days) and relay, 3 computers and 2 batterys, an alteranton, starter, and all grounds. Finaly ran into a Jeep driving mechanic that had the answer... Replace the PCM again!?!?.... only this time we replaced the cam sensor, IACV, TPS and CPS again, all, at the same time. Has not had a hick-up in 5 weeks now after 18 months of chasing this random gremlin.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:51 PM

Hmm I'll have to look into it thanks I will let you know