Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Electrical fixes

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Default Electrical fixes

2000 jeep Cherokee running gauges went to zero all the clusterblights came on windows don't work, heads up display reads -- remote doesn't work on drivers door no horn starts right up then dies changed crank sensor,battery took door panels off plz any one
Old 02-22-2014, 09:11 PM

Any help would be great. I have no clue what I am doing.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:29 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 I6

Yikes...Have you checked your any of your fuses yet? Check in the panel in the passenger lower kick panel and in the panel located under the hood on the passenger side next to the coolant tank.

That's were I would start. If there are any blown fuses the next step is to figure out why they blew. Electrical problems suck!
Old 02-22-2014, 09:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by Jimmyz
2000 jeep Cherokee running gauges went to zero all the clusterblights came on windows don't work, heads up display reads -- remote doesn't work on drivers door no horn starts right up then dies changed crank sensor,battery took door panels off plz any one
Factory alarm equipped ? Is so try this lock doors with remote . Unlock pass door with key open it reach in and start from pass side.

Last edited by freegdr; 02-22-2014 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Jimmyz
Do you have Sentry Key Immobilizer system?
Old 02-23-2014, 09:34 PM

Engine: Straight six 4.0L

Sorry, but this is not an answer for the above question... I have a question of my own. I'm new to the site and this looked like an appropriate thread to post in for my question. I have a 97 Cherokee Sport and recently as I have been driving back and forth to work, my battery gauge has been resting at zero and my headlights and other cabin lights have been very dim. My radio starts to fade out and the heat turns off. I assumed I had a dead battery or alternator but I got the battery checked and it is at full charge. Also, the Jeep "snaps out of it" sometimes and the lights return to their standard brightness and the gauge returns to normal range. I'm wondering if there is some problem with the wiring? Thanks!
Old 02-23-2014, 11:08 PM

Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by Sport970639
Sorry, but this is not an answer for the above question... I have a question of my own. I'm new to the site and this looked like an appropriate thread to post in for my question. I have a 97 Cherokee Sport and recently as I have been driving back and forth to work, my battery gauge has been resting at zero and my headlights and other cabin lights have been very dim. My radio starts to fade out and the heat turns off. I assumed I had a dead battery or alternator but I got the battery checked and it is at full charge. Also, the Jeep "snaps out of it" sometimes and the lights return to their standard brightness and the gauge returns to normal range. I'm wondering if there is some problem with the wiring? Thanks!
I don't have an answer buy my advice would be to start a new thread on your particular problem if you haven't already. You will be more likely to get an answer.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:05 PM

Engine: Straight 6

I had a problem like this a few years ago and it turned out to be a ground wire loose. Dealership had to pull the dash and finally found it 3 days later. Had all the same problems you are having.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0L

Many folks...myself included, have found gremlins go away when you clean the battery posts and the connecting terminals...They need to be SHINY...Get scothbrite pads, emery sandpaper...and sometimes even a razor blade to get down to clean metal. The thin layer of grey corrosion can cause more issues that you could imagine

Same goes for the grounding points...at the fender, on the engine block, and a braid back near the firewall. Get the connection points CLEAN!