Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

ecu replacement, help me out!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default ecu replacement, help me out!

im trying to find a ecu for my 1999 cherokee sport auto 4x4, there is alot out there but none of them really match my motorola part # or my or the modual s/n. found a few with matching part numbers. my question is what numbers matter when looking for the right one for my vehicle? any help would be great!
Old 04-01-2013, 08:58 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L I6

I believe any ECU from a 1996 - 2001 will work. Here is a listing I found after a quick search.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEEP-CHEROKE...-/170525721908

I'd double check to make sure I'm correct before buying, obviously.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:34 PM

Yeah that's where I was looking was on ebay, hopefully others chime in, I'd hate to buy one and it not work.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Passt
I believe any ECU from a 1996 - 2001 will work. Here is a listing I found after a quick search.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEEP-CHEROKE...-/170525721908

I'd double check to make sure I'm correct before buying, obviously.
Well... Sort of...
I bought a new ECU for my 98 from that same outfit. I didn't really need one, I just wanted an extra on hand so I wouldn't have to pay through the nose for a local one of I had a sudden failure.

Anyway, when you order they will ask you for a 4-5 digit alphanumeric code that is on the label of your stock unit. Those codes signify changes to the ECU that revolve around mid-model changes to injectors, other sensors, fuel maps, dizzy vs. camshaft position sensor, etc. Others may work, but won't necessarily be optimized for your year model.

I ordered mine, and it got here fast. I hooked it up to make sure it worked before storing at away. Right off the bat I noticed that the volt gauge only read 9 volts, when it has always read correctly before. Switch my original back in and everything works fine again.

I called them to get an RMA, and when I explained that I had a problem and what it was, they kept insisting that something must be wrong with my battery, alternator, or charging circuit. Even when I said it worked fine and registered fine with my old ECU, they kept telling me it wasn't the fault of their computer. How dumb! Let's see... nothing has changed except I installed your part and it's somehow MY fault?!

That's when things got REALLY ****ty!! I called back, asked to speak to a manager. Had to fight with some ******* to even get the manager on the phone. The manager was an insulting an even bigger insulting *******, and kept saying it was something wrong with my XJ. Ten minutes later after reading him the riot act and explaining that I grew up under the hoods of cars and knew what I was doing, and couldn't be so easily fooled, threatened to report him to Ebay and Paypal, etc., etc., he relented and agreed to send out another one, which he did. The guys were such *******s though that I never sent the "bad" one back.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:52 PM

I hate bad customer service. Did the replacement they sent out work properly? Or was there still a voltage issue.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:57 AM

Is this the company from the link above?
Old 04-02-2013, 06:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

The second ECU they sent out appears to work correctly. And it is ACE-AutoComputerExchange from Ebay. I don't really have a problem with the fact that they sent me one that wasn't work right. I mean, they're rebuilding/reflashing ECU's that are over a decade old and have seen how many thousands of hours of use; it could happen to anyone. What pissed me off was the attitude they took to whole thing. In the end, I got a fully functional ECU for a good price, even if I had to wait longer and complain loudly about it.

Last edited by macgyver35; 04-02-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:25 PM

I ordered one from them today, should be here Friday. Hopefully everything works properly!!
Old 04-02-2013, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by koczorowski
I ordered one from them today, should be here Friday. Hopefully everything works properly!!
Let us know!