Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

E-Brake is worthless! Please advise!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Sport
Default E-Brake is worthless! Please advise!

I have a '93 sexj that wont pass inspection (in TX) because the emergency brake is worthless -_- I have already pulled the tires off and COMPLETELY replaced the rear drums, shoes, springs, etc. After all that it still didn't help! So I did some high-end research on Google, and tightened the adjuster underneath. I tried reversing and slamming on my brakes. Got some tension, but it's still worthless going forward. Any ideas???

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-19-2012, 05:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1987
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: Renix 4.0

I have no clue what an emergency brake is... but...

the cable may be stretched
Old 11-19-2012, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you read service manual?
Why did you replace drums and shoes?
Old 11-19-2012, 06:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Beowulf21
I have a '93 sexj that wont pass inspection (in TX) because the emergency brake is worthless -_- I have already pulled the tires off and COMPLETELY replaced the rear drums, shoes, springs, etc. After all that it still didn't help! So I did some high-end research on Google, and tightened the adjuster underneath. I tried reversing and slamming on my brakes. Got some tension, but it's still worthless going forward. Any ideas???

Thanks in advance!
Really?
I live in S. TX. and mine hasn't worked in over 3 years and I have never had a problem getting mine passed.
Anyways, If you you tried the adjustment on the cable and backing and slamming on your brakes and still nothing. Like jakbob said the cable may be stretched. Also did you try to use the star adjuster on the rear brakes?
Old 11-19-2012, 06:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

Originally Posted by jakbob
I have no clue what an emergency brake is... but...

the cable may be stretched
Manual Brake, E Brake, Parking Brake, take your pick. Its that lever protruding from the trans tunnel.

The self adjusters on my xj have never worked. You need to lift the rear of your xj off the ground. Put your jeep in neutral (on level ground of course) and spin the wheel with your hand. If it turns and turns like it has no resistance then you need to adjust them. To do so look at the inside bottom part of the drum (like looking at the drums if you were laying under the chunk) There should be a little rubber grommit that should be right where this guy is sticking that tool.

Pull out that grommit, and with the a screwdriver do move the gears of the adjuster until you can spin the wheel and it slightly catches (should spin for 2-4 seconds before stopping) Repeat on the other side.

Here is a reference of what the adjuster looks like. I wouldnt go off what it says to do, as the adjust on yours may be just the opposite..