Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Dust in the Power Distribution Center

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 01:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default Dust in the Power Distribution Center

I live on a dirt road, and do most of my driving in dry, dusty conditions. The inside of my power distribution center is really dirty. Is that normal?

The top cover fits pretty loosely ... there is no gasket or anything. Does it normally come with a gasket?

If no gasket, any ideas on keeping the dust out?

Thnx.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

If it's the dist. cap that has collected dust, then that's no good. It should be a tight fit, but it won't have a gasket. The cap and rotor are cheap and easy to fix and you can use silicone to make your own gaskets. There are two screws that hold cap in place. The one closer to engine block may break, it did on mine.. But that's why they made zip ties... Honestly, I've got so many zip ties on my rig.. Fan shroud, coolant lines... On my last rig I patched a small hole with exhaust tape and used zip ties to keep it held tight.. Well the zip ties not only outlasted the exhaust tape, but didn't show any signs of melting or wear!! Something to. Consider when in a bind
Old 09-14-2011, 02:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

As long as the dirt stays dry you will be OK. But preventing the dirt entry in the first place is the best option. You could make aseal for it with some silicone in the lid and sealling the holes.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by VTJeep
If it's the dist. cap that has collected dust, then that's no good. It should be a tight fit, but it won't have a gasket. The cap and rotor are cheap and easy to fix and you can use silicone to make your own gaskets. There are two screws that hold cap in place. The one closer to engine block may break, it did on mine.. But that's why they made zip ties... Honestly, I've got so many zip ties on my rig.. Fan shroud, coolant lines... On my last rig I patched a small hole with exhaust tape and used zip ties to keep it held tight.. Well the zip ties not only outlasted the exhaust tape, but didn't show any signs of melting or wear!! Something to. Consider when in a bind
I'm not talking about the distributor, which is part of the ignition system. My distributor cap is nice and tight.

I'm talking about the Power Distribution Center. It's the black housing next to the passenger fender that has all of the relays and large fuses in it. Lots of wires going into and out of it. It sits just to the rear of the battery.

But Zip ties are an interesting idea. A few of those might keep the PDC top on tighter.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:34 PM
CF Veteran

Ok, I'm tracking now.. I hope.. The fuse box behind battery, ya? If that is indeed the piece, then **** in there is ok. Mines full of dust and no problems.

Edit- zip ties like a mother ****er! I wanna try and put one near cat to see if it will hold up to heat..
Old 09-14-2011, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by 93gc40
Preventing the dirt entry in the first place is the best option. You could make a seal for it with some silicone in the lid and sealing the holes.
Yeah ... I thought of running a bead of silicone in the lid, also thought of putting door edge protector around the edge of the case, which would also fill in the gap. Look at the "U-Door Edge" or the "Edge Trim" here:
http://www.cowlesproducts.com/styleguard_door_edge.html
Old 09-14-2011, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by VTJeep
Mines full of dust and no problems.
You might be right, but I'm just thinking it would be best to have clean and bright connections everywhere, and fuses/relays are important connections. When I pull the fuses and relays, i see some dirt down in the slots where they plug in.

Last edited by montanaman; 09-14-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:49 PM
CF Veteran

I am never in the "maybe right" category, only dead on or way off!! Haha, jk.. the biggest thing to look for is corrosion. Look for that greenish buildup as you go thru block.. If there is corrosion, make sure to get it off the fuse/relay you removed and also from where said fuse/relay goes! (common sense, I know...)
Old 09-14-2011, 05:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99
Engine: 4.o

I use a lot of dielectric grease and it works. For that spot I just pulled out all the fuses and relays and coated the hole thing then plugged them back in. I put that stuff on all connections everywhere. Got pulled over once for my lights flashing after hitting a huge puddle at about 50 mph about ten times. Water is not nice to rigs.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:14 PM
CF Veteran

Huh. Didn't know you could do that! Thanks man!
Edit- so what else can you spray?
Old 09-14-2011, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by brutalxj
I use a lot of dielectric grease and it works
Yeah ... I want to use that too, but first I have to seal up the PDC. If I coat everything with dielectric grease, it will actually *attract* the dirt. We'll see how well I can get it sealed up.