Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Drum brake issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 straight 6
Default Drum brake issues

Hello to all my forum friends. Having a drum brake issue with my 97 xj sport. My passenger side rear drum is dragging. About 6 weeks ago i replaced wheel cylinders due to the passenger side leaking. Shoes were also replaced and the system was bled. No issues....a month ago i got new wheels and larger tires (30x9.5x15). About a week ago i heard the rear shoes dragging in reverse or slow speeds. I investigated over the weekend and discovered the passenger side is dragging. I tore it apart and replaced the wheel cylinder again and installed a new hardware kit. I though i had it fixed but it started squealing again last night. I have stopped using my e brake...and have it almost disconnected to try to eliminate the e brake cable being the issue. When i put the brakes back together over the weekend i had the star drive all the way in....drums were assembled correctly....even had my dad look at it just to check (fresh set of eyes never hurts). Axle oil seal isnt leaking and the new wheel cylinder isnt leaking. Should i throw new shoes and a drum at it? Drums were replaced two years ago....im totally stumped with this. Can anyone help?
Old 05-01-2018, 12:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0l

You might check the E-brake cable itself, not releasing all the way. I had one that would not release after setting E-brake. It was hanging up inside the cable housing somewhere. Was an easy fix but not where it locked up 70 miles from nearest town in the mountains.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Oswalla
You might check the E-brake cable itself, not releasing all the way. I had one that would not release after setting E-brake. It was hanging up inside the cable housing somewhere. Was an easy fix but not where it locked up 70 miles from nearest town in the mountains.
i will definitely check that tonight. Since i have the e brake more or less disconnected could that cable still be causing the brake to hang up?
Old 05-01-2018, 03:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Possibly if the brake arm thats attached to the cable is not retracted all the way, the cable could still be stuck extended somewhat. My roadside unstuck procedure had me prying that brake arm to move cable in the relaxed position. I could barely move that cable pulling on it with pliers AFTER I had it out. The only problems I ever had with rubbing drums was related to Ebrake not working right. Curious to know what it ends up being.

On a sidenote you should be thankful those adjusters do what their supposed to do. I still have to periodically manually adjust rears, even with all new hardware..

Last edited by Oswalla; 05-01-2018 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Just a wild thought, I have never had a proportion valve go bad, maybe someone will chime in if this could cause your problem ??
Old 05-01-2018, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Oswalla
Possibly if the brake arm thats attached to the cable is not retracted all the way, the cable could still be stuck extended somewhat. My roadside unstuck procedure had me prying that brake arm to move cable in the relaxed position. I could barely move that cable pulling on it with pliers AFTER I had it out. The only problems I ever had with rubbing drums was related to Ebrake not working right. Curious to know what it ends up being.

On a sidenote you should be thankful those adjusters do what their supposed to do. I still have to periodically manually adjust rears, even with all new hardware..
ok....i bled the brakes again....pedal is rock hard now. I lubed the e brake cables with anti sieze and resnugged it. Im sure its still probably a little lose but its not hanging like it was. I didnt have time to disassemble the brakes cuz it began to rain on me. I relubed the ebrake cables in the drum housing over the weekend so they should be good. Tomorrow i will disassemble and try to find the problem. I may put new shoes on it since its cheap and since the ones on the passenger side are really glazed over anyway. I will let you know how it comes out

Last edited by dr.zoidberg; 05-01-2018 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 05-01-2018, 10:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by dr.zoidberg
ok....i bled the brakes again....pedal is rock hard now. I lubed the e brake cables with anti sieze and resnugged it. Im sure its still probably a little lose but its not hanging like it was. I didnt have time to disassemble the brakes cuz it began to rain on me. I relubed the ebrake cables in the drum housing over the weekend so they should be good. Tomorrow i will disassemble and try to find the problem. I may put new shoes on it since its cheap and since the ones on the passenger side are really glazed over anyway. I will let you know how it comes out
I will be delving into break issues very soon.. Look forward to your conclusion...
Old 05-02-2018, 12:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 249 Likes on 199 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by dr.zoidberg
they are cheap...and always best to replace in pairs for best results anyways.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:31 AM

Was curious if anyone could give me the proper way to correctly adjust my ebrake.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:12 PM

UPDATE...
Ok. The weather decided to cooperate today. Unfortunately i cant say what fixed my problem. I replaced drums...shoes...hardware kit...one wheel cylinder ( i replaced both in February but replaced passenger side again to make sure it wasnt a bad cylinder) and lubed and adjusted the e brake cables. Went on about a 15 mile drive this morning and happily the passenger side is no longer dragging.
On a side note....the new red drums look great behind my black tactik wheels...lol