Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

drivers door permantly locked

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 74
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 318
Default drivers door permantly locked

well i just recently (more like back in late june) aquired a 94 xj sport 2 door,and for some reason the drivers door won't open. it happed back in april when my brother was driving it, he locked his door and for some reason it would not unlock. heres the kicker turns out it is locking and unlocking but for some reason the lock won't enguage into unlock. we have taken off the door panel and cannot find anything noticable thats causing it, and the bar connecting the button to the door lock is moving fine.

so yeah enough rambling from me and any help (even just pricing a replacement part) would be apriciated.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Welcome to CF from Dan from Tenn.!
I don't have an answer for you, but I'm sure one of the XJ guys on here will chime in with a fix for your problem.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:34 PM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by sd_dragon28
well i just recently (more like back in late june) aquired a 94 xj sport 2 door,and for some reason the drivers door won't open. it happed back in april when my brother was driving it, he locked his door and for some reason it would not unlock. heres the kicker turns out it is locking and unlocking but for some reason the lock won't enguage into unlock. we have taken off the door panel and cannot find anything noticable thats causing it, and the bar connecting the button to the door lock is moving fine.

so yeah enough rambling from me and any help (even just pricing a replacement part) would be apriciated.
Hi I just PM'ed you a message that should help out some...Tj
Old 02-16-2010, 05:57 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0
Question Me Too!!

Originally Posted by sd_dragon28

So my wife was drivin around today and when she came home the door would not unlock did anything you do help? I can't even open the door.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0 inline 6 HO

All my doors would not unlock, finally got one open, took each door panel off and sprayed all of the moving parts with PB Blaster and moved the locks up down couple times then sprayed them again works fine now.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:21 AM

Year: 74
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 318

alright if i get a chance ill hae to try that
Old 02-17-2010, 12:24 PM

Engine: I6 4.0

mine does that too. it locks but will unlock with the key. mine isnt as bad as yours though. mine i just take the key and turn it in the keyhole into the lock position unlock position (from the outside of the jeep) lock unlock lock unlock until the clicking comes back and the door unlocks. minor inconvenience in the cold weather here.
waiting for the summer to come to look at that mechanism in the door
Old 02-17-2010, 12:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l I6

Ya I had to replace a locking mechanism it was messed up. All of my doors lock and unlock but I have to hit the button a few times. When I sprayed them all down with wd 40 and moved them a bunch now all is well. Older locks get ungreased over time. So just regrease all the joints and locks and springs.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:18 PM

Year: 01
Engine: 4.0
Default yup

Same here on my 94 4 door, rear driver's side.
Sounds like a pretty common xj thing... ...
Old 02-17-2010, 02:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

I had to stick a flat tip screwdriver in the mechanizim and pry it to get it unstuck. It sucked doing it but once it was open i sprayed it with pb and now its ok. for now
Old 02-17-2010, 03:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 96
Engine: 4.0 IL6

I've been messing with this same problem on both front doors. For over a year.
My shop took a look at one door and "fixed" it, but I still have to do the multi-twist with the key. The other door is also a problem-- if it's locked and I try to open it, it faults and I have to use the key, twice.

It's either a cleaning/grease problem, or a spring is mis-aligned or missing.

My gut is telling me it's a spring or something is bent/worn?? When it warms up, I'll take the inside trim panels off and probably remain mystified, but we'll see...
Old 02-17-2010, 03:55 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

in a lot of situations, people constantly grab the driver door to get out and in. over the years this can slightly change the alignment of the door to the body. heck your seams and gaps might not even change that much. usually overworks the assembly and just needs to be regreased and sometimes slight realignment.