Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

doin a tune up on xj NEED help

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default doin a tune up on xj NEED help

im planning on doing a tune up on my cherokee i wanted to change the spark plugs and tune up the ignition also i would like to know whats a good oil set up for my transmission and axles and also what upgrades would help me gain some power and im planning on getting and intake exhaust all recommendations are welcome thanks for the help
Old 12-09-2010, 06:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

Below is a link to a good thread with recommendations for all fluids. A good bookmark.

Plain old champion copper spark plugs should work fine, some like NGK, your 01 does NOT like Bosch spark plugs! (be sure to verify gap of .035)

You have an 01, which has the "infamous" 0331 head, which is susceptible to cracking, ESPECIALLY if the engine is overheated. Therefore, it is extremely important that you pay attention to replacing any and all cooling system components BEFORE they fail. Be proactive, not reactive and your engine and pocketbook will thank you!! That includes radiator, water pump, radiator cap, hoses (replace yours if they are original, even if they look okay!) , serpentine belt that drives the water pump, and the thermostat (use a 195 degree stat)

Good luck.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/i...-type-1131669/

Last edited by tjwalker; 12-09-2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:49 PM

thanks as far as performance upgrade what can i do for at least 30 plus rear wheel gain
Old 12-10-2010, 10:28 PM

Nitrous Shot ... its a jeep
Old 12-11-2010, 12:11 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: inline 6

u want to gain 30whp?
bore out the cylinders add a garrett GT60 turbo at 12.5psi. 3inch exhaust..
or if you want to be money friendly with noticeable gain in performance... get rid of the air box (very restrictive) and focus on the exhaust system. anything that will open up the exhaust flow. like a cherry bomb/new catalytic converter.

Last edited by JeepingDan; 12-12-2010 at 04:11 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:59 AM

well i just sold my turbo car but now brought to my interset how much boost can the stock 4.0 hold with still being a reliable car.... i know pretty good amount about setting up turbo systems and what it takes to be a reliable set up and tuning... this car has the space for a set up but what would have to be upgraded on transmission and axles so they be able to hold the power and i know a nice turbo set up at 6 to 8 pounds would be way more then 30 horsepower
Old 12-12-2010, 04:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994

TBH, and this is in no way a reflection of your knowledge, but I think if you're serious about boosting an XJ (or a Jeep in general) for massive performance gains, you are probably in the wrong market. Sure, it can be done...but what's the point? If you want a "fast and/or boosted" vehicle, you should just stick with the dime-a-dozen 4 bangers out there, where it makes more sense to do such a thing.

Although I still have aspirations of putting a V-dub W12 in my XJ...a guy can dream can't he?
Old 12-12-2010, 04:23 AM

im not worried if the car is gonna be a ferrari i jus want to kno cuz i think its a cool idea of a low boost set up would give it a nice power boost and at some point i plan on upgrading my axles and transmission for relaibilty when i off road
Old 05-30-2011, 03:46 PM

Default Performance and the "Bang/Buck ratio"

Originally Posted by BenjiBlood
u want to gain 30whp?
bore out the cylinders add a garrett GT60 turbo at 12.5psi. 3inch exhaust..
or if you want to be money friendly with noticeable gain in performance... get rid of the air box (very restrictive) and focus on the exhaust system. anything that will open up the exhaust flow. like a cherry bomb/new catalytic converter.
I know this is an old thread, but I just got on here when I googled info about tuneups to show someone something (That I was right, and he was wrong... ) And this is something I have a little experience with.

I am actually helping build a 4.0 for a friend. We don't have specific power gains in mind. We have no plans to use a dyno, so we have no idea how much actual power increase we will see, but here is our budget formula that will give you good results on the Butt Dyno (Power measured at the seat of the pants) without draining the wallet with turbo kits (which to me are a little risky because of the "crap in my oil killed my turbine" factor - I just don't think adding a turbo to an NA engine that was never designed for one is a very good move). Also if you do any off road, and poke a hole in your oil pan an unlubricated turbo will die a fast expensive death.

As stated by the fellow above, increased bore. While you are at it, why not look into a rebuild with a slightly longer crank, spend a little money on getting the head machined a little (don't go crazy, just massage it a little) and throw in a new cam. In short, a stroker motor. A mild increase (.2 or .3 liters may not even effect your fuel economy much and 4.0's can get really thirsty even when bone stock...).

The only thing I disagree with above is a Cherry Bomb muffler. By my experience they make a lot of noise, but I have seen them take away power. Do a little homework and find a good exhaust that has been tested by someone who has a real dyno.

Don't get me wrong. I don't have an issue with Turbochargers per se... Parked next to my O1 Cherokee Sport is an 09 WRX STi. It's the Suby that I go to for massive power and forced injection. My XJ? K&N intake and a cam that gives me bottom end grunt and enough torque to pull a small horse trailer around the mountains here in the Pacific NW. I have no idea how many HP I have, but I have enough torque to pull away from much newer vehicles with much more technology and frequently much more displacement. (5.7 vs my 4.0 frequently)

So do your homework and find the best bang for your buck in terms of power, longevity and don't just throw a bunch of money at a quick power grab that may cost you more in time, money and aggravation.