Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Do fries come wi' dat shake?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 08:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Do fries come wi' dat shake?

OK...I've about got the horse barn for SWMBO finished...at least far enough alone to house horses for the winter. Now I've got an XJ problem to attend to...

My '94 has extended shackles in place of the stock shackles at the rear mount point of the leaf springs. It has 1 and 3/4" pucks in front. The shocks are Gabriels and appear to be in good shape.

It wiggles a bit going down the road - a "sashay", for lack of a better way to describe it. I also get a pronounced torsional "twist" effect when shifting into drive sometimes - like the torque causes the right rear to dip and a slight body roll/twist seems to occur.

I don't know whether to blame the shackles or the shocks. They both start with "s"...that is about as far as I've gotten.

Does anybody have this problem/had this problem? Or does anyone have an idea other than shocks/shackles?

BTW...my leaf springs are junk, also. That's why the DPO put the shackles on, obviously.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6

its common for our cherokees to have body roll, if your leafs are bad replace them, maybe new coil springs or just a small new lift kit to help?
Old 10-18-2010, 09:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l inline 6

I would geuss it may be the combination of all three, shocks-flat spring- shackles, with the weaker and older springs it can cause play and the shackles would increase it some. I would start with getting better springs (aftermarket or a decent set from the pic and pull) then check the shackles (bushings). I only threw the shocks in the equation because if your getting new stuff might as well replace other old stuff while your messing with everything