Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Difficulty Accelerating?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 01:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Unhappy Difficulty Accelerating?

Hey guys! I'll start off by saying I have an automatic 97 xj, police package, up country suspension, with 217k on it.

Lately, I've been coming to complete stops. When trying to accelerate, it won't move. It sounds like it's slipping into neutral, but it's not... Once I hit about 1500 RPMs, it begins to move forward. Anything below 1500 RPMs and the Cherokee won't move. Sometimes, when I don't feel like dealing with that, I'll drop it into 1-2 and it will work just fine immediately, then I'll put it into third, and then back into drive. Seems to work fine that way (sometimes), just a pain in the butt.

It also seems like this problem happens when I come off of the highway doing 60-70mph and have to hit the brakes for a red light. (sometimes I pump them, sometimes I don't). The funky acceleration happens sometimes this way too when the light eventually turns green. People begin to honk.

Already checked the transmission fluid and levels are perfect, but the fluid looks a little bit too clean though, haha.

Also, this problem seems to happen A LOT in the rain. It will continue happening the following day as well because it's still wet outside.

Any advice at all would be great. Doing some research, some people say get a new TCM, some said check air inlets to make sure water isn't getting in, and another said check my wheel speed sensor (gap may be too big causing inaccurate reading points and slow shifting)

Thanks!

Last edited by amberthomson; 10-14-2015 at 01:36 AM.