Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Diff cover protection?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 03:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Default Diff cover protection?

How much of a concern is it? Im not doin any rock crawling, mostly just muddy trails, Im in NY. I saw the have the whole cover, the G2's werent that expensive but they are aluminum, is that enough worth the upgrade? I was thinking maybe just get the guard that fits over the cover?
Old 09-01-2010, 04:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by No4x4Yet
How much of a concern is it? Im not doin any rock crawling, mostly just muddy trails, Im in NY. I saw the have the whole cover, the G2's werent that expensive but they are aluminum, is that enough worth the upgrade? I was thinking maybe just get the guard that fits over the cover?
If you do any real wheeling you should run diff. protection. It is easy to knock a hole, or bend the stock diff. cover into the ring gear. ( Both really bad things! ) I know a lot of guys don't run protection, but it only takes one bad line to find the one bad rock, and then you are screwed. I usually look for the half cage type that just covers the bottom half of the diff. ( cleans easy & cost less )
Old 09-01-2010, 04:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997 XJ
Engine: 4.0 HO JASPER MOTOR

i run a riddler cover in the rear and it is abused alot. ive seen the half cover protectors break and puncture the cover from hard hits.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:50 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by XJSETH
i run a riddler cover in the rear and it is abused alot. ive seen the half cover protectors break and puncture the cover from hard hits.
I've taken a few hard hits on mine, haven't bent them yet. I guess the thing is to buy good ones or make-em yourself. The riddler cover is a good looking cover just not what I wanted to run.
If your wheeling friends are breaking 50 percent of the diff protectors they run they should learn to miss the rocks. I've been doing this for 35 years and I've never broken a diff protector, and I've had homemade ones and boughten ones, and lots of them, and not one guy I wheel with has broken a diff protector. Sorry, I just don't see this as a major problem.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Rock Toy
I've taken a few hard hits on mine, haven't bent them yet. I guess the thing is to buy good ones or make-em yourself. The riddler cover is a good looking cover just not what I wanted to run.
If your wheeling friends are breaking 50 percent of the diff protectors they run they should learn to miss the rocks. I've been doing this for 35 years and I've never broken a diff protector, and I've had homemade ones and boughten ones, and lots of them, and not one guy I wheel with has broken a diff protector. Sorry, I just don't see this as a major problem.
Im def not gonna be dropping do onto any rocks. My buddies said last time I missed a rock by like a half inch so Im thinking having a lil extra protection would be good.

Do you have to change the diff fluid when you put on a half cage? I was looking at the cover yesterday and there was a good bit of gasket maker or what ever they. If I can just undo a few bolts and throw the cage on Ill be strongly thinking bout it.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995

Do you have to change the diff fluid when you put on a half cage?
I just changed my diff fluid last weekend, removed all the bolts except the top one and not a drop leaked out, it had a good amount of RTV on it though.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by 95Cherokee
I just changed my diff fluid last weekend, removed all the bolts except the top one and not a drop leaked out, it had a good amount of RTV on it though.
mine had a ton of RTV on it as well, Ill have to look into it.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:21 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: l6 4.0, K&N FIPK & 62mm bored TB

Im def not gonna be dropping do onto any rocks. My buddies said last time I missed a rock by like a half inch so Im thinking having a lil extra protection would be good.

Do you have to change the diff fluid when you put on a half cage? I was looking at the cover yesterday and there was a good bit of gasket maker or what ever they. If I can just undo a few bolts and throw the cage on Ill be strongly thinking bout it.
No one plans to do damage, but sometimes damage finds you. IMO armor is not something you should skimp on, unless you have some good repair skills. And if you're thinking you might need armor, then you probably will. Why go flimsy or cheap? Wait a bit, count the pennies, get a decent cover & never have to worry.

My 2cents.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:24 PM
CF Veteran

Usually you can remove the bottom bolts on the diff cover without losing your gear lube.

Make sure what ever you buy is a quality piece. I've used Super lift's Extreme rings, 4xdoctors half cages, Warn half covers, ( didn't like cleaning them not enough holes to get small rocks out ) Purple cranium half and full spiders and some homemade ones. You didn't say what you had for a rear axle, if you have the 8.25 your choices will be limited, take your time check them all out and buy the one that gives you the most bang for your buck.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:45 PM
CF Veteran

I agree with the recommendation of "quality". Rocky Road Outfitters has a really beefy "tube" half cover that is deceptively heavy duty - made from solid tubing. I had one before I decided to get full covers. Very tough piece. They're not my favorite company to do business with, but you can't deny the quality of their stuff.

LOOK HERE

Edit: I had the Warn half covers on my D35 before the RR covers (8.25) and I bashed in the Warns on the rocks pretty good. They didn't do too bad, but the RRs put them to shame. And yes, they make a great pocket for small rocks & mud - and the crud will never wash out.

Last edited by _StationWagon_; 09-03-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:45 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by _StationWagon_
I agree with the recommendation of "quality". Rocky Road Outfitters has a really beefy "tube" half cover that is deceptively heavy duty - made from solid tubing. I had one before I decided to get full covers. Very tough piece. They're not my favorite company to do business with, but you can't deny the quality of their stuff.

LOOK HERE

Edit: I had the Warn half covers on my D35 before the RR covers (8.25) and I bashed in the Warns on the rocks pretty good. They didn't do too bad, but the RRs put them to shame. And yes, they make a great pocket for small rocks & mud - and the crud will never wash out.
I got a half cage from a friend that made it himself and they were made with I think a piece of 38" plate for the base and 1 1/4 solid bar for the main loop and 1" solid bar for the slider pieces. HEAVY? yes.
I had that many years ago and can't remember if it was 3/8ths plate or 5/16ths on the rim.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by _StationWagon_
No one plans to do damage, but sometimes damage finds you. IMO armor is not something you should skimp on, unless you have some good repair skills. And if you're thinking you might need armor, then you probably will. Why go flimsy or cheap? Wait a bit, count the pennies, get a decent cover & never have to worry.

My 2cents.
Im not gonna be rock crawling, is what I was refering to. I was thinking bout them incase I do run into a rock unexpectedly. I dont wanna go full cover just yet cuz I would like yo upgrade the axles. Not sure when that will happen though.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:04 PM
CF Veteran

Then a half cover will do. There are plenty of cheap ones. RCX has some, often found on ebay for like 49 bux. And of course there's Warn. But if you're not coming in contact with hard surfaces that jump up & bite your undercarriage, you won't need protection.