Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

did a climb today

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default did a climb today

Hey guys,
I just wanted to tell you guys about a climb I did today in the XJ. There is this neighborhood being built near my house but it has gone south and is vacant and unfinished with these steep hill transfers from lot to lot going down this hill...needless to say when I saw the hills I had to give it a try. I started with the first hill it was about 4 jeep lengths long at about 35 to 45 degrees, I started in two wheel drive and almost to the top I started spinning, so I dropped it in 4 wheel hi and just eased up with no problems....The last one I did was about 15 jeep lengths long at about the same angle and the sucker just pulled right up over....I was impressed.The jeep didn't struggle at all...( love this thing ) I'll have to post a picture when I can get someone to go there with me..
Holla
Old 10-28-2008, 10:22 PM

Year: 92
Engine: worn out

Please give all us legal off-roaders a break and don't post pics or anything else about illegal wheeling or trespassing.

Have fun at your own risk, but please know that this sort of thing makes us all look bad.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:27 PM
CF Veteran

sounds like fun, looking forward to the pics,

IDK about that been illegal,, its just a cruse over a construction site... but yeah I do support legal wheeling..

to the OP might want to check in your town if this is illegal to clarify it to all of us..
Old 10-28-2008, 11:01 PM

Seems like shaner164 loves off-road thrills...
I wanna see those pics...
Hope you won't get caught the next time...
Old 10-28-2008, 11:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

You guys are funny with this legal and illegal offroading stuff. 95% of the offroading i do isnt at an ORV park. I personally dont like ORV parks just because everyone as been there and done that! I like to make my own trails thats where the actual skill of offroading comes in. Iv been caught places i shouldnt have been and the police just asked us to leave. Im not saying i go tearing through someones front yard. AS FOR GAIBERTARD YOU MAKE YOUSELF LOOK BAD JUST FOR SAYING SOMETHING LIKE THAT. Every picture i have on this site is from local places i go NOT ORV parks.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Me and three of my friends got stuck back here all at the same time and were still stuck when the police showed up. It was some very sloppy stuff and all are vehicles were stock with street tires on them. After we got out the cops just asked us to leave. No harm done!

Pics remove this is ILLEGAL WHEELING, I know I live in Michigan, and unless your at the Mounds or Silver lake wheeling in anything that looks like swamp is a big NO NO..

Last edited by nick_n_ii; 10-29-2008 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:47 PM
Seasoned Member

those pictures arent from the day we got stuck its just the same place
Old 10-29-2008, 08:54 AM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Shaner just go find the construction foreman and tell him you want to ride over his site and that you won't break anything. Chances are he won't stop you but it is always a good habit to get permission so that you are not considered trespassing.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 2.5L I-4

I've never wheeled in an OHV park, but that's not to say I wheel illegal areas. Legal wheeling doesn't have to mean an OHV park. Duh. There are plenty of designated trails out there, most of which began as wagon trails or railways over a century ago, or utility access roads that were abandoned decades ago. Find them, wheel them, keep the sport alive... but don't wheel lands that are clearly private property. That's just stupid.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:35 AM
Seasoned Member

you have to know what land you are wheeling because if it is preserved by the state or anything like that say good by to your jeep and say hello to jail
Old 10-29-2008, 10:39 AM
Seasoned Member

IDK i suppose punishment for these things vary from state to state
Old 10-29-2008, 10:57 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 2.5L I-4

Originally Posted by sk8ertht540s
you have to know what land you are wheeling because if it is preserved by the state or anything like that say good by to your jeep and say hello to jail
Designated land in this state is clearly marked, either by private persons with posted signs, or by signs at the trail head from logging companies, geological surveyors, U.S Forestry Service, et al, which state the owner's intended use of the land and it's rules for public access. But trails like I mentioned earlier are most often legal through-ways for off-highway vehicles.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:16 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 ltr

Originally Posted by TrueBlueXJ
I've never wheeled in an OHV park, but that's not to say I wheel illegal areas. Legal wheeling doesn't have to mean an OHV park. Duh. There are plenty of designated trails out there, most of which began as wagon trails or railways over a century ago, or utility access roads that were abandoned decades ago. Find them, wheel them, keep the sport alive... but don't wheel lands that are clearly private property. That's just stupid.
Amen. Wheeling illegally on private land just gives the activist that are closing our PUBLIC trails more ammo. Basically shows that we (as a wheeling community) can not respect private land, so who is going to trust us with public land.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:31 AM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sk8ertht540s
You guys are funny with this legal and illegal offroading stuff. 95% of the offroading i do isnt at an ORV park. I personally dont like ORV parks just because everyone as been there and done that! I like to make my own trails thats where the actual skill of offroading comes in. Iv been caught places i shouldnt have been and the police just asked us to leave. Im not saying i go tearing through someones front yard. AS FOR GAIBERTARD YOU MAKE YOUSELF LOOK BAD JUST FOR SAYING SOMETHING LIKE THAT. Every picture i have on this site is from local places i go NOT ORV parks.
You think it takes skill to "cut" a new trail?? You think it takes less to do an "existing" trail?? Please come to CO and I'll show you that existing trails, or "been there done that" trails are not only more challenging, but legal!! I'm not concerned with what you think about me or anything like that, but know that the things you are doing by "cutting" new trails, affects the persona of our hobby in a very negative way. If this is private land that you have permission to make new trails on, then please disregard this post. If it is public land of any kind it is POSITIVELY ILLEGAL to leave the existing trail in any way!! As to it being funny...IT'S NOT FUNNY, when you pull up to one of your favorite spots and find a gate blocking access. Not trying to be a jerk, but making "new" trails is one of the fastest ways to get an area shut down completely. I have seen too much of it already, and don't wish to lose my right to wheel legally, because others don't care!! Please take into consideration the impact you could be having on the ares your exploring...thanks!!
Old 10-29-2008, 12:09 PM
"CF Moderator"

Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Wow things have changed since I used to go 4 wheeling in the 70's & 80's. Down here in New Jersey there are NO "OHV" parks that I know of. We do have a beach park where for $190 you can drive on it and do some fishing which is fine for me. No hills or trails on it though. Anyone know of any places in NJ (LEGAL)to go 4 wheeling let me know...Tj

Last edited by TrekkerJmm; 10-29-2008 at 03:44 PM.

Quick Reply: did a climb today