Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Developed a Stalling Issue I Can't Figure Out

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 04:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default Developed a Stalling Issue I Can't Figure Out

I've developed a wicked stalling issue with my rig. This doesn't happen all the time, but it getting VERY frequent lately. It occasionally bucks while driving, stalls out when stopped or pulling out from a light, drops to around 200 rpms when coming to a stop. This all started after i replaced my spark plug wires with some aftermarket units. I tried putting my old wires back on but it didn't fix the issue.

Recently replaced:

Cam sensor
Crank sensor
Cap and rotor
Coil
Wires
Plugs
Tps
Map sensor
Iat sensor
Battery
Air filter
Injectors

It had run fine for around 2k miles with these parts replaced, minus the wires. The Jeep will stall in gear or in park, while driving or while stopped. Sometimes it runs like a champ, other times it spits, sputters, cuts out, and dies. I've been pulling my hair out on this for a week and a half now. No Cel codes. When it dies the cel illuminates but it wont show any codes. Just 12 and 55. Anybody have any idea?
Old 11-08-2011, 09:18 AM
RAH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Check the wiring harness to the crank sensor. I have seen them melted to the exhaust and cause that. Pull the cap and see if the rotor is raising up and hitting the electrodes on the cap.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:35 AM
CF Veteran

The crank sensor wiring is good. I was all over that sensor when this first started (been there). The inside of the cap still looks new. I replaced the spark plugs last night. One and six looked a little hot and they all had slight ash on them
Old 11-08-2011, 08:16 PM
CF Veteran

Checked fuel pressure. 42psi with the Jeep off, 31 with the key on, and 33 with the engine running.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:24 PM

Year: 1995

Ok so here's the deal I have a 95 Cherokee xj it all started one day out of nowhere my jeep started running really rough and my check engine light came on I checked the codes and there was several diff ones , the next day goin down the road it lost all lights inside and out , a couple min later it completely dies and batt is dead I have someone bring a batt put it on starts up drives fine so I have mine checked its dead so I replace it jeep runs great for 3 or 4 days then starts the same missing and check engine code but this its the code for a bad alternator so I take it off and have it checked and it passed but I bought a new one anyways put it on jeep ran great for a week until I took it to the trails and it started it again so a friend said it sounded like the idle control sensor and he had an extra new one so I installed it and low n behold my jeep was running perfect the whole day and for two weeks but here we are again wither same problem part time crappy running and check engine light with several codes ... somebody please help
Old 01-07-2012, 10:57 PM

Year: 96
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Big Blue: Check and t/s your active codes first. It may even be the new alt. is bad. Not likely, but I've seen stranger things happen. Low voltage will definitely cause all that.

Last edited by marked1; 01-07-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:00 PM

Year: 96
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

JeepWerks, Have you checked your throttle body. It may have a sensor problem.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:11 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

Check all of your grounds... make sure they are clean tight and all attached...
Old 01-09-2012, 02:24 PM

Year: 2001

i have a 2001 with similar issues. more problems when the outside temperature dropped. first engine light came one after 3\4 mile hill clime, got to the other side and had to put the brakes on. immediate started misfiring and running rough until i turned off and restarted. this has happened 4 times since. after applying the brakes. It stalled this morning when my wife was backing out of the driveway.replaced all exhaust, O2's, just did injectors and IAC today. runs like crap still. fuel pressure is at 42 with key on and holds. my guess is maybe a vacuum leak. anyone know what the vacuum should be and what else i can check to get her running right? this gremlin is driving me nuts