Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

dead space in steering.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0I6
Default dead space in steering.

OK. so please read post completely before commenting.

I do NOT have death wobble. that issue was long ago corrected.

I went to the junk yard and got a 1995 ZJ V8 tie rod and drag link.
I replaced both of the tie rod ends.

I have 5.5" of lift so i purchased a Rusty's full size jeep pitman arm drop. The hole for the tie rod end however is too large and has eaten away two dust boots.

Both front wheel bearing hubs have been replaced and so have the front axle U-joints.

I have had a professional alignment and I have gone back for an alignment check.

The dead space that I am experiencing is when i turn the wheel to the right. A slight right or to remain straight is almost completely 90* with the steering wheel to the right.

I have ordered a new drag link thinking that the fixed ends on the drag link may be bad along with a new drop pitman arm to replace the one with the extra large hole and a new tie rod end to the pitman arm (again).

My question is could this be a steering box issue? I will know for sure when my parts come in and I get them changed. I am just curious if anyone else has had this issue and if it sounds like a steering box or if it sounds like I was right on with the drag link?
Old 04-15-2010, 08:27 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 high output straight 6

I had this issue in a 2wd k5 blazer I had and it turned out to be a worn steering box that had to much play in it
Old 04-15-2010, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Nor-CalJeeper
I had this issue in a 2wd k5 blazer I had and it turned out to be a worn steering box that had to much play in it
the only thing that may lead me to believe that it may not be the steering box is that the play is only to the right. left turning is still good with no play. while parked i can turn the wheel to the right with some ease so that does make me think it could be the steering box.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:28 AM

this is the steering wheel with the wheels straight and the pitman arm with whats left of the second dust boot.
Attached Images   
Old 04-15-2010, 04:54 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

I had the same prpblem. Have someone hold onto the steering shaft underneath the U-joint closest to the firewall And try turning it back and forth. Thats where my play was. Hope it helps.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:01 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L

it sounds like you steering box, i got more play then i should be there, and it more to the left then the right, and when i lifted mind i redid every thing but my steering box, got it in and will be getting to it later to and and tomorrow morn in hopes to get to work that night. will let you know if it helps. but i was check the links form the column to the box as well
Old 04-15-2010, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by tntcherokee
I had the same prpblem. Have someone hold onto the steering shaft underneath the U-joint closest to the firewall And try turning it back and forth. Thats where my play was. Hope it helps.
no play there.

after having my buddy get in and steer while i watched everything work I determined that:

it appears that my junkyard special was too good to be true both fixed joints are bad.

steering box is still A. O. K.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:54 PM

ok, fixed it, tie rods are all good. The pitman arm does have too big of a hole in it so i went to lowes and found a brass bushing to fit inside and fill the space until the replacement gets here. The last "professional" alignment that I had left my steering wheel adjustment loose so my wheel was set too far to the right. Total cost $5. total parts that were not needed ordered $80. Eff
Old 04-17-2010, 10:13 AM

this is the damage. i watched the pitman arm as the wheel turned and i could see the tie rod slapping around inside the oversized hole.
Attached Images