Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Curious after today

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 08:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Unhappy Curious after today

I've only owned the XJ for about a month now, done the basic tune-up to it, replaced all fluids. So today i jump in, start her up, get down the street, no more than maybe 1/2 mile away from home, she just shuts off, i try and start her back up(numerous times) and nothing, no crankin, nothing, felt like the battery was dead, and there was no power, So i get on the phone to call a tow back, as im talking to the AAA guy, i give it another try to see if she'd start and she fires right up, i make it home, shut her off, re-start no problem. I'm already thinking CPS, or something else is going. So I pop the hood, and notice the ground from the battery to the engine block is really lose, i tightened it up, started her up, drove her around for much of the day with no problems, So now im curious as if thats all it was or is there something else i need to look at, Any Suggestions????
Old 01-08-2011, 08:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by 90XJNSD
I've only owned the XJ for about a month now, done the basic tune-up to it, replaced all fluids. So today i jump in, start her up, get down the street, no more than maybe 1/2 mile away from home, she just shuts off, i try and start her back up(numerous times) and nothing, no crankin, nothing, felt like the battery was dead, and there was no power, So i get on the phone to call a tow back, as im talking to the AAA guy, i give it another try to see if she'd start and she fires right up, i make it home, shut her off, re-start no problem. I'm already thinking CPS, or something else is going. So I pop the hood, and notice the ground from the battery to the engine block is really lose, i tightened it up, started her up, drove her around for much of the day with no problems, So now im curious as if thats all it was or is there something else i need to look at, Any Suggestions????

It is very very VERY likely that the loose ground was your issue. I have seen many vehicles sold for close to nothing due to a "Bad Motor" when all it had was a bad ground. No ground = no juice anywhere. Keep an eye on it, but I think you fixed your problem.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Bad ground could be the culprit.
Did you still have accessory power?
Another common thing with XJs are the NSS but there are other symptoms such as no reverse lights, but if it happens again with the good ground, try starting in neutral.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990

I'm pretty sure my accesories were dead too, I'll keep that in mind if it does it again