New guy shopping for an xj

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default New guy shopping for an xj

Hey, just been looking for something to get out in the mountains with and after much research, settled on an xj. I don't actually have one, but I have some money saved and have been looking. I'd like to get something that is in good shape. I'm okay with modifications, but would prefer mostly stock since I don't like a lot of the stuff I've seen done.

I live in Utah and our roads get salted a lot, also off road vehicles are in demand here. So it's mostly beat up, rusted, and modified vehicles that priced too high. I think I've found a nice clean 2000 that I would like to look at tomorrow.

http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/cto/5197892102.html

I'm just curious what experienced xj owners think about this particular vehicle.

Thanks fellas,
Nash
Old 09-16-2015, 09:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1994 SE
Engine: 4.0

Welcome, Nash.
The XJ is quite capable in its stock form, and bounds more capable with small modifications. You don't need to go all out if you don't want to.
Be aware that the 2000 had the 0331 (I think that's the code) head that's prone to cracking. Many have had no issues, but they are relatively more prone than earlier years. I don't know if it's because the XJ are winter strictly vehicles (beaters) for some, but I've never seen rust attack a vehicle quite like it does the XJ, do a thorough inspection. Overall you can't go wrong with an XJ though.
The link isn't working, I'll try to cut/paste to check it out (on my phone now).

Edit: Ok, checked the link. It really doesn't look bad at all and the price is reasonable, especially if it's all good upon inspection. Just check for rust and inquire if head work has been done. It's my understanding that if the head was to go it's usually about 150k-200k miles, but I wouldn't call it a deal breaker.

Last edited by jay_sco; 09-16-2015 at 09:07 AM.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:31 AM

Jay,
Thanks for the response. I wasn't aware of the 2000 cylinder head issue. I have noticed that rust is a seriously problem, if left unchecked. I'm pretty sure that particular XJ has already sold. No response from the seller. Oh well, I have enough going on right now that it's probably better to wait, unless I find a killer deal. I have too many vehicles and not enough garage space. Two car garage and four vehicles, although one should be going away within the next couple months.

I was thinking that if I found a rust free XJ and mechanically sound XJ, I could have some fun this fall/winter. I just really don't want it to occupy the garage during the winter due to some prolonged and unplanned maintenance. I think I'm just going to keep watching. A friend of mine found a great deal, recently, and I'm struggling to find anything that comes close to the value/quality. I think this may be just be a bad time of year, since it's hunting season for a variety of things, everyone is looking for something. I'd really like to build a detached garage for whatever projects may arise, but that's quite a ways off.

I'd freakin love to get a clean XJ and throw in a GM LH6, with a 6L80. That would be a blast.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:55 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 2.5 td

Welcome along.
Old 09-18-2015, 01:15 AM

Here's another one I'm hoping to look at:

http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/2423231?ad_cid=1

More modified than I'd like, but I think it looks alright.
Old 09-18-2015, 01:37 AM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992

Welcome. Honestly I would look for like a 98 Cherokee. That seems to be the best year
Old 09-18-2015, 01:38 AM

The one I just posted is a 98
Old 09-18-2015, 01:40 AM
Banned

Just looked at the link. That one looks pretty nice. Make sure you look for things like rust, engine knocks, and such. They had common rust issues in the floors and in the rear from a leaky hatch so I would look in those areas for rust before you buy it.
Old 09-18-2015, 01:46 AM

Roger that! Rust is hard to avoid here to salting the roads and frequent snow. I 'd definitely prefer to avoid buying something that has cancer. Thanks for the tip on the hatch!
Old 09-18-2015, 02:09 AM
Banned

Mine is an Arizona vehicle all its life and its starting to rust in the rear just to the left of the passenger rear panel cover. I wouldn't have ever known if I didn't pull my carpet. Water was accumulating there and it got under the factory coating and started eating the metal. I chipped away at it and coated it in rustoleum undercoating. I'm glad I got to it before it became serious
Old 09-18-2015, 12:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999

Welcome to the forum
Old 09-18-2015, 03:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the site

Tony
Old 09-22-2015, 10:42 AM

Thanks guys!

I've been looking at XJs here and there lately. Man, I'm seriously confused with what some people call "great condition". I live in a remote place, so it's at least 30 minutes to go look at a vehicle. I'm starting to get a little peeved that people neglect to mention so many things, even when asked on the phone. Apparently you have to ask each question directly. I think I may just compile a list of questions in the format of "Does ____ work?". or "When you say 'no rust', do you mean 'some rust'?" LOL

Anyhow, I haven't given up, I think I will continue to look patiently and get more serious about building my detached garage. Probably the smartest thing to do really, it's just less fun in the short term.

Here's the latest prospective vehicle. With several admitted problems, but at least the guy is forthcoming. If these are the only problems, I'm not too upset.

http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/2430641?ad_cid=2

Guy says:

Horn doesn't work.

Clockspring is bad.

A motor mount is starting to tear (replacement parts included).

Check alignment, since drivers side ball joint was just done (not sure if it's upper, lower, or both).
Old 09-25-2015, 12:59 AM
Banned

It says the link is missing. But dont be too eager and jump on something you will regret because you get too impatient. Every used vehicle is going to have its problems. Just take those problems, if they're little problems, and use those as negotiating tools. Find one around your price range and go look. Remember, more problems equals cheaper jeep usually. But also more work on your end. Surface rust can be taken care of real easy, things like ac, heater, oil leaks and such can be fixed fairly easily with hand tools and knowledge. If you don't have the knowledge, just ask on the forum. There is plenty of help on here and guys with nothing better to do than troll the forums at 11 at night. Lol
Old 09-25-2015, 08:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by 93_xjcherokee
There is plenty of help on here and guys with nothing better to do than troll the forums at 11 at night. Lol
some of us do it in the mornings. Lol

Quick Reply: New guy shopping for an xj