Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cruise and heater problems??

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Cruise and heater problems??

I have read through all the search threads on this and wonder if they both are related. The heater only blows hot air and not cool air if adjusted.. I assume this is the blend door. The cruise does not work at all... no dash light nothing.. I have checked as best I can for a vacuum leak and have found nothing, but the no cruise light on the dash has me scratching my head on if these problems are related..any help is appreciated. I bought this jeep w a broken piston and after it sat awhile... now its driving once again but I am just trying to get all the neglected problems fixed from when the previous owner had it.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by *TWISTER*
I have read through all the search threads on this and wonder if they both are related. The heater only blows hot air and not cool air if adjusted.. I assume this is the blend door. The cruise does not work at all... no dash light nothing.. I have checked as best I can for a vacuum leak and have found nothing, but the no cruise light on the dash has me scratching my head on if these problems are related..any help is appreciated. I bought this jeep w a broken piston and after it sat awhile... now its driving once again but I am just trying to get all the neglected problems fixed from when the previous owner had it.
Sounds like a blend door issue. Any problems changing the air from defrost to floor, dash, etc? That would indicate a vacuum leak or blend door issue as well.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:45 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Thanks for your post.

We’re here to help but you must understand that all Jeeps are not the same.
In order for us to give you more accurate advice and help, we must know the following, along with detailed information as to the symptoms/problems etc:

Year
Model
Engine
Transmission
Old 12-08-2013, 04:56 PM

From what I can tell it is not a vacuum problem on the heat.. it is just hot always. I cant get the actuator to move while watching it and the controls for defrost to heat all work including the lower door on the passenger side for floor heat all work. After I shut the engine down I can disconnect the vacuum line the the heater controls from under the hood and it is still holding vacuum..Hmm what is next to look for? I can deal with no cruise but the heater is going to cook me this winter..lol
Old 12-08-2013, 05:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this sounds like you have two seperate issue here.

check the fuse for the cruise control (i believe its in the box under the hood)

and if you're talking about the xj in your sig, the blend door actuator is under the dash on the passanger side, shouldn't be to hard to pull it out and see if it moves.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

From what I can tell it is not a vacuum problem on the heat.. it is just hot always. I cant get the actuator to move while watching it and the controls for defrost to heat all work including the lower door on the passenger side for floor heat all work. After I shut the engine down I can disconnect the vacuum line the the heater controls from under the hood and it is still holding vacuum..Hmm what is next to look for? I can deal with no cruise but the heater is going to cook me this winter..lol

[above] Are you talking about the Blend-Air Door actuator on the bottom of the HVAC Unit, in the passenger footwell?
Old 12-08-2013, 05:33 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

both my 98 xjs cruise didnt work, and both times the lil hose in the pic on the left (90 degree one end) was the culprit

along the right fender behind the battery

Name:  IMG_2648.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  102.2 KB
Old 12-08-2013, 05:48 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by skife
this sounds like you have two seperate issue here.

check the fuse for the cruise control (i believe its in the box under the hood)

The vehicle speed control (cruise control) system isn't fused. It's powered from the PCM.

and if you're talking about the xj in your sig, the blend door actuator is under the dash on the passanger side, shouldn't be to hard to pull it out and see if it moves.
You don't have to remove the Blend-Air Door actuator to see if it moves.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:52 PM
CF Veteran

Does the CRUISE lamp come on when you turn the key to ON (Run), before starting the engine (bulb check)? If the lamp works, the problem may be with your brake lamp switch or the vehicle speed control switch on the steering wheel.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by CCKen
Does the CRUISE lamp come on when you turn the key to ON (Run), before starting the engine (bulb check)? If the lamp works, the problem may be with your brake lamp switch or the vehicle speed control switch on the steering wheel.

Thanks.. I never thought of that. I did get the heat to work right.. after pulling the actuator down it did not work.. I put my test probe in the orange fitting and had power there, then checked the other 2 wires and it started to work.. I assume either the actuator is going out or it is a loose connection but it works now...as for the cruise I need to check on the bulb in dash.. there is a good chance I fixed it while adjusting the switch if the bulb is out.. I have vacuum at the cruise servo so vacuum is not he issue there.. I just bought this Jeep a month ago and have done a total restoration on it I think..lol.. I really do like working on it as opposed to the other toys in the garage.. (got my first Jeep wave today in it too...lol..) Back to the garage to fix the cruise I hope.. Thanks for all the help so far.