Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Crankshift or Throttle

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Crankshift or Throttle

96 Jeep Sport

Jeep will start up most of the time and run with no issues, but about twice a week,...no start. Good battery, etc. The engine doesn't turn over. It's like not having a battery. Jiggled the gear selection *****, etc. Nothing. The last time it happened, I let the Jeep roll in gear a few inches to rotate things around and after the third or fourth attempt, it started right up.

Is this an issue with the TPS or the CPS? I replaced both roughly 5 months ago.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Does it crank at all? If not, could be a problem with the neutral safety switch or starter. Try hitting the starter with something and see if that helps.

If it does crank and just doesn't catch, I'd suspect the CPS. When you replaced it, where did you get the sensor from? There are many other components that can cause a no spark. First you need to verify that you're getting fuel, spark and air
Old 08-22-2012, 04:06 PM

Does not crank at all. I am suspecting the Neutral Safety Switch since the backlup lights sometime do not work.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:08 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by mtnance
Does not crank at all. I am suspecting the Neutral Safety Switch since the backlup lights sometime do not work.
Fix it. See what happens.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:03 PM
CF Veteran

Yep that would be your NSS for sure.

Follow this:
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoNSSrebuild.htm
Old 08-23-2012, 07:28 PM

Not 100% positive this fixed the main issue. When I first got this Jeep I rebuilt the NSS. This time when I took it off, some of the plastic edges were broken. Unk if something hit it. Time being of the essence with trying to get this back on the road, I sucked it up and got a new switch. Keeping the old to rebuild again later if needed. Jeep still didn't want to turn over at first but after a little wiggle with the adjustment, it finally did. (and the backup lights were working) However, the third part of the test, starting in neutral, doesn't pass 100%. Left as it is designed, it doesn't turn over but if I hold the ignition key (as if cranking) and pull slightly back on the gear lever, it starts. I tried adjusting ever so slightly, no avail. But, at least it was starting again normal park position.

But I am not 100% convinced that was really the issue. Are there other sensors that would (once the engine was hot) would not allow the engine to turn over?

Maybe I'm looking for something that isn't there, but when I'm two hours out of town and my daughter calls to say it won't start, it's not easy to walk her through a checklist on the phone.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:47 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Not 100% positive this fixed the main issue. When I first got this Jeep I rebuilt the NSS. This time when I took it off, some of the plastic edges were broken. Unk if something hit it. Time being of the essence with trying to get this back on the road, I sucked it up and got a new switch. Keeping the old to rebuild again later if needed. Jeep still didn't want to turn over at first but after a little wiggle with the adjustment, it finally did. (and the backup lights were working) However, the third part of the test, starting in neutral, doesn't pass 100%. Left as it is designed, it doesn't turn over but if I hold the ignition key (as if cranking) and pull slightly back on the gear lever, it starts. I tried adjusting ever so slightly, no avail. But, at least it was starting again normal park position.

But I am not 100% convinced that was really the issue. Are there other sensors that would (once the engine was hot) would not allow the engine to turn over?

Maybe I'm looking for something that isn't there, but when I'm two hours out of town and my daughter calls to say it won't start, it's not easy to walk her through a checklist on the phone.
No crank issue? No sensors will cause that. Crank no start? CPS is primary suspect.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:52 PM
CF Veteran

You're still looking at the NSS being your issue. It sounds like you need to adjust it and find the sweet spot. A cm adjustment can make all the difference