Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cranking out the horses on a 4.0, help

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Cranking out the horses on a 4.0, help

i have a 99 cherokee sport, and i'm lookin to try and get as much horsepower out of the engine as i can without spending too much money, kind of a problem when you're going to school to become a Diesel technician lol. So far I'm running Bosch +2 plugs, Napa premium wires, fully synthetic oil. I've also replaced the stock muffler with Flowmaster Super 40 and 2 1/2" pipe. Any ideas? looking to do some mods without sticking a bunch of money into it. This is also my daily driver so it has to be somewhat fuel efficient lol, which could also pose a problem for cranking out the ponies lol.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:04 AM

spray it. Mufflers, air filters, CAIs are all marketting hype. Big $ for little if any real gain.
You want HP out of a tractor mot0r w/o stroking it, your only real option is nitrous and I wouldn't bother with that...
Old 02-11-2010, 09:11 AM

yeah i don't want to mess around with nitrous and i don't do much racing lol. if the gas engine was similar to a diesel engine i'd do it that way, cuz what we do there is on a diesel, we turn up the injection pump by timing the pump by setting the timing a knotch or two past the timing hole on the flywheel so you have an advanced timing so that you dump more fuel into the cylinders before combustion. if that makes any sense at all lol
Old 02-11-2010, 09:58 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

Even though you're not gonna use nitrous, here's a sweet video of a Cherokee on nitrous dumping on a few camaros. Damn thing doesn't even have doors on it! I just wonder how long the engine lasted with the nitrous setup.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

That video was not very conclusive, the guy in the Jeep was jumping the gun on the start. I don't like Camaros, but if the starts were fair, the Camaro would most likely win 2 out of 3 races.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:27 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996

You have to keep in mind that it's a 4x4 offroad vehicle not meant to go fast. The Camaros should have no problem beating a Jeep as they are built for speed. I still think it's pretty cool that a doorless Jeep on nitrous beat 3 Camaros. Here's another video from the same guy taking on a Vette and he has em at the start, but loses the lead http://www.youtube.com/user/1badspilo#p/u/1/ErupE4VHu_8
Old 02-11-2010, 11:15 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 high output, Alabama Cylinder head, 60mm bored TB

you already upgraded the exhaust with 2.5" piping... did you do a highflow cat? Combine that with an upgraded intake and maybe a bored out throttle body and a header. Thats about all you can really do without building a stroker. You have a '99 so you already have the better intake manifold. I have a buddy who runs synthetic gear oils in the diffs and T-case of his ford ranger and gained about 1-2 mpg. That might help, although he did do it on a ford hahaha.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by jeepkid03
you already upgraded the exhaust with 2.5" piping... did you do a highflow cat? Combine that with an upgraded intake and maybe a bored out throttle body and a header. Thats about all you can really do without building a stroker. You have a '99 so you already have the better intake manifold. I have a buddy who runs synthetic gear oils in the diffs and T-case of his ford ranger and gained about 1-2 mpg. That might help, although he did do it on a ford hahaha.
Nah i didn't run i high-flow cat, just the stock one, like i said i'm runnin fully synthetic engine oil, premium gas, eventually im puttin a cool air intake or somehow makin ram air or somethin.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88

Go back to Champion plugs. 4.0's don't like Bosch or anything else.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:58 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by itzdan420
Go back to Champion plugs. 4.0's don't like Bosch or anything else.
x2 on this. I put bosch platinums in about 6 months ago when I did a full tune up and the jeep never ran quite rite. Seemed like it was missing just a bit. I went back to Champion plugs about a month ago and the thing runs great again.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0 litre

high flow cat will help alot
Old 02-14-2010, 06:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0 high output, Alabama Cylinder head, 60mm bored TB

Originally Posted by SkyWalkerCherokee
Nah i didn't run i high-flow cat, just the stock one, like i said i'm runnin fully synthetic engine oil, premium gas, eventually im puttin a cool air intake or somehow makin ram air or somethin.
don't use premium gas, thats just throwing your money away. 4.0's run better on regular.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:46 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

i removed the mechanical fan and put in a electric from a jk. i can feel the difference. heats up super fast. hardly ever kicks on. think it cost me $65 total
Old 02-15-2010, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by jeepkid03
don't use premium gas, thats just throwing your money away. 4.0's run better on regular.
idk, i put regular in one time and it ended up screwin up my TPS sensor, but then again i could've just got bad gas. I just get gas from either BP or Shell now and i just get premium cuz i seem to be gettin better mpgs since i switched to premium.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by c-loss
x2 on this. I put bosch platinums in about 6 months ago when I did a full tune up and the jeep never ran quite rite. Seemed like it was missing just a bit. I went back to Champion plugs about a month ago and the thing runs great again.
hmm... that might be somethin to look into. i just did a full tune up on my 99 and i put in Bosch +2's with Napa premium wires, before that i was running Bosch+4's but now that's starting to seem like it was a waste of money, yes i was working at NAPA so i got a discount on the plugs. I'll have to try Champions next time. Is there any certain Champions that you run?

Quick Reply: Cranking out the horses on a 4.0, help