Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Crank, No Start

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Crank, No Start

Even Ladies and Gents,

A couple weeks ago I purchased a 94' XJ 2wd with the 4.0L I6. A lot of the parts were changed prior to the purchase including the timing chain, water pump, A/C Compressor, starter, belt, new fans and hoses, new hoses for just about everything that requires them, new spark plugs, air filter box, air filter, injector plugs,battery was MFG in 11/13. Since then I had a no start issue, I've replaced the CPS and the ignition coil since these seem to be a big issue. It ran fine. The hose to my oil cooler got busted by the fan running to close to it. I noticed it whenever my girlfriend and my two kids and I was on the highway and I had thought it was starting to rain. Little did I know that it was oil. I patched the hose and it won't be causing any issues anytime in the near future. At the same time I noticed that one of my sensors was being burned on my exhaust right as it comes out of the engine so I repaired those wires and placed a heat resistant sleeve over it to ensure that the heat from the exhaust wouldn't affect the wires anymore. I ran the truck for one day without issues. The next evening my girlfriend and I was preparing to leave and the truck started for about five seconds then died. All fuses check well and the relays under the hood have been replaced. I'm no longer get fire to my coil and there is not power going to it whenever I run a test light or a multimeter to it. Is there another relay or fuse that I'm not aware of or?...

I'm at a complete loss. My contract just ended and I received my last paycheck from the Marines. I have a few leads on jobs but if I can't get my truck running properly then that will soon dwindle to zero leads. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Or if anyone could point me in the right direction. Thank you.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993
Engine: 4.0

Did you recheck that wire that got melted on the exhaust? Most likely that is the wire going to the oxygen sensor and it is common for them to fall against the exhaust and blow the big maxi fuse that controls everything.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Sounds cheesy, buy put on a leather glove and have her crank it over while you start wiggling wires and connections. I've solved 2 no-starts like that.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Programbo
Did you recheck that wire that got melted on the exhaust? Most likely that is the wire going to the oxygen sensor and it is common for them to fall against the exhaust and blow the big maxi fuse that controls everything.
Yes I replaced the wires that fell on the exhaust as well as placed a heat resist shield over it and zipped tie it away from the exhaust to help prevent it again. All of my fuses work and the relays have been replaced as well just for some extra good measure