Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cracked Head Gasket? Cracked Cylinder Head?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 01:13 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L High Output
Default Cracked Head Gasket? Cracked Cylinder Head?

Hey Guys,

Hope all you Nor'East people are doing good with this bitter cold. So basically I'm thinking I have a crack in my Head Gasket in my 95 XJ, 4.0HO...Jeep sat for about a week in this terrible weather for about a week, went out to start it and it wouldn't turn over. I asked my neighbor if he'd give me a jump and while I went inside to get my Cables, he took it upon himself to check everything out for me, which was really nice. Anyways, he said Thomas, you do realize your at the Add mark on your Antifreeze Bottle and your Oil is way up. I had to move it to the front of my house so I had no choice unless I wanted to push it up the driveway, so I had him jump it. As soon as I started it, it was knocking like a sonofa*****. Now, I know when you revv it, it will go away if it's a lifter...Which it did. Now, my final question...Coolant in the Oil obviously means something is toast...If it were a cracked head would it sound like a diesel? Its not smoking blue but the Oil looks like Chocolate Milk. Sorry for the people that say JUST SEARCH!!!! But Im using a phone and this app is always screwing up, crashing, and closing. Thanks guys for the input.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:15 AM
Seasoned Member

Ill get a video up here of it...BTW, Check Engine light is lit but Ill get the codes tomorrow and post them.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:27 AM
Seasoned Member

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=4dYAkg6OV5o&feature=youtube_gdata_player&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D4dYAkg6OV5o%26feature%3Dyoutube_gdata_player I hope it works.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:09 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

The video doesn't play for me, but from your description, it sure sounds like a head gasket/head problem. Time for some troubleshooting (compression test, cooling system pressure test, etc).
Old 02-03-2013, 08:12 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L

head gasket for sure. time for a nice performace rebuild ^.^
Old 02-03-2013, 08:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

There is really only one way to find out for sure if it's a cracked head or just a head gasket. That would be by pulling the head. Hopefully it is only the head gasket. Let us know what you find out.
Good Luck!
Old 02-03-2013, 08:24 AM
CF Veteran

just make sure you resurface the head before reinstalling it with a new gasket as they can warp. and check the valves. might at well get it all out of the way while your in there
Old 02-03-2013, 08:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Check it for warping with a nice straight edge.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Everyone, thanks for all the help. I knew it had to be a gasket...Alright...Time to search how to replace it. Felpro will be the best I assume, am I correct?? I hear it isn't hard, just very time consuming. This morning it also had leaked quite a significant amount of Coolant from what looks like some kind of a seal directly below a pulley (I think, don't laugh if it isn't a Pulley, Ha)...Don't know if that has anything to do with a gasket, but I just want to throw that out there.

Cracked Head Gasket? Cracked Cylinder Head?-forumrunner_20130203_155018.jpg

Cracked Head Gasket? Cracked Cylinder Head?-forumrunner_20130203_155038.jpg
Old 02-03-2013, 03:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

If it is going to be a while before you make repairs, change the oil and filter, then crank the motor over with the plugs out a few times. Don't want to leave the bearings soaking in antifreeze any longer than necessary.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:16 PM

As they said, I would guess a head gasket. Usually a cracked head will pressurize your cooling system or smoke like a b I t c h. I would suggest going with a felpro kit because it will give you a ton of stuff. When you get the head off, poor water in the intake and exhaust port and watch her leaks from the valves. Not everything has a valve tool and a valve lapper or know how to do it correctly. If you are leaking from the valves, take it to a machine shop and have them do a valve job and deck the head. It should only cost $250 ish from a good shop. Also, while the clean the head they can find if there is a crack in it. That is my suggestion, of course I didn't do that cause I had no money but being a mechanic I rigged my own port and lapped the valves. hooray for broke mechanics! Anyways, good luck and let us know what you did!
Old 02-03-2013, 03:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
Check it for warping with a nice straight edge.
yup. 0.004 or less with a feeler gauge. I don't think I've ever seen one of those cast iron pigs warp. Not that it's impossible, but you'd really have to be trying, lol.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:16 AM
Seasoned Member

I will be doing all of what you guys told me. Jesus, Id be lost without this forum...My truck gave me a wonderful sixteenth birthday present! Eh, maybe she is jealous she can't have cake. Who wants a slice of Death By Chocolate Cake? All anyone needs is a sliver of this stufd and you'll be good for chocolate till the next century. Six Layers and nothing but chocolate. I really have to stop getting off topic. Anyways guys, I appreciate all the help you guys give me to keep this thing running, and don't know what the heck I'd do without ya's.

Cracked Head Gasket? Cracked Cylinder Head?-forumrunner_20130204_021214.jpg
Old 02-04-2013, 06:17 AM
CF Veteran

Happy birthday, and now that you're 16, don't forget to update your signature!
Old 02-04-2013, 08:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good luck. Being as young as you are and successfully replacing your own head gasket would be a great achievement and invaluable life skill under your belt!

Be sure to check every nook and cranny of your cooling system. Radiator, hoses, freeze plugs (I had a lot of drama with these), water pump. It's possible that leak in the one picture you have is coming from the water pump since that sits above the "pulley" you mentioned which is actually the harmonic balancer (I think).

Last weekend I thought for sure I blew my head gasket trying to get my Jeep as close to home as I could get after I blew a freeze plug and all the coolant rushed out of my engine block...but after putting it all back together and fixing everything, turns out the good ol 4.0 still runs fine.

Quick Reply: Cracked Head Gasket? Cracked Cylinder Head?