Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

cps symptoms but not the problem?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default cps symptoms but not the problem?????

I have a 97 cherokee auto. Its have the symptoms of a faulty cps via no gauges working check engine light on p1694 I believe is what it was. Hooked the scanner to it something about the computer. I already replaced the cps was with a aftermarket brand I at least thought it would fix it. When I put it in I had to fight it to get it to crank then it finally did and when I slammed the hood it shut off. Now the reverse cuts in and out then dies. When I'm going down the road the engine cuts in and out. Sometimes it cranks right up sometimes it will not its all I have to drive so I'm stumped. When it goes through its spells of not wanting to crank at all I can hear the fuel pump kick one but I'm not getting spark cause after cranking it for a while I can smell the fuel. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:04 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

P1694 is a "No Bus" message from the PCM.....You have no communication between the BCM, TCM and PCM. When you have this code it means that they don't see one another and therfore until you fix the reason it will not start, run or run very badly.

could be faulty wiring, bad ground, bad power supply i.e.fuse...or bad PCM or BCM. Can also be caused by shorted sensors that share the CCD Bus line.....TPS,IAC,MAP or even O2 Sensors, [crank sensor voltage going bias is the number one cause of this symptom that I have seen in our shop]
Old 03-01-2011, 06:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I would get a different crank sensor in there. I buy plenty of aftermarket parts, but the crank sensor is one thing that I always purchase from Jeep.

This forum and the other three forums I frequent have plenty of threads regarding faulty/flaky aftermarket crank sensors right out of the box.

And with what you describe (didn't fire until you slammed the hood?) after crank sensor replacement, that indicates you very likely still have a problem with the crank sensor.

And be sure the connector for the crank sensor is clean. They can get debris in them. Get a can of electrical contact cleaner, thoroughly spray the connector, add a dab of dielectric grease and reconnect.