Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cooling System Nightmare!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Cooling System Nightmare!

Recently I have been having some crazy cooling system issues. Here's the deal ... Overheated on the highway. Once upon a time some idiot mixed dexcool and regular coolant in my cooling system ... I have been flushing "mud" out of my cooling system for months. I finally thought i had it all out literally dismantled the cooling system flushed out the hoses flushed out the block and heater core and ran water in it for 3 days to test. Everything worked out fine so I added coolant and now it will reach temp with heat working fine then the heat cuts out and the jeep overheats ... Any ideas, maybe dexcool still clogging up the system? Should I pay a shop to flush the cooling system? I have never taken a vehicle to a shop but I'm stuck this time ... any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Old 12-05-2015, 07:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by steve_dub
Recently I have been having some crazy cooling system issues. Here's the deal ... Overheated on the highway. Once upon a time some idiot mixed dexcool and regular coolant in my cooling system ... I have been flushing "mud" out of my cooling system for months. I finally thought i had it all out literally dismantled the cooling system flushed out the hoses flushed out the block and heater core and ran water in it for 3 days to test. Everything worked out fine so I added coolant and now it will reach temp with heat working fine then the heat cuts out and the jeep overheats ... Any ideas, maybe dexcool still clogging up the system? Should I pay a shop to flush the cooling system? I have never taken a vehicle to a shop but I'm stuck this time ... any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
The fact that the heat will cut out and then the Jeep overheats kinda indicates a failing water pump, if the coolant stops pumping then the heat will cut out and the engine will overheat.
Old 12-06-2015, 07:02 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

If it were me, I'd do a complete cooling system overhaul: flush, flush, replace water pump, thermostat, hoses, radiator, flush. Back flush the heater core while the hoses are off to get the crap out of it. And while you have the radiator out anyway, that's a good time to preemptively replace your fan clutch, which is a part of the cooling system that people often forget.

You probably also have crap built up in the water jackets in the engine that won't come out easily. You may need to run a detergent through the system to get that stuff out. Someone here recently suggested running Amway detergent through the system, but you can also buy chemical coolant flush at the parts stores that is supposed to do the same thing.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by jpmarine6786
The fact that the heat will cut out and then the Jeep overheats kinda indicates a failing water pump, if the coolant stops pumping then the heat will cut out and the engine will overheat.
I'll give that a shot ... When i pull over to let it cool then restart the engine at temperature (210) the temp will drop quickly so maybe it is intermittently failing and on its way out. I have a new thermostat so i don't think that would be the issue.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996

Prestone's cooling system flush product works wonderfully. I used it extensively while I was getting the mud out of my system.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:45 PM

Changed out the water pump and it has been running better however after driving for a decent amount of time 30 plus minutes the temp creeps up just above 210. To nervous to take it any further because usually after I'm over 210 it sprays coolant out from under the rad cap ... not sure why the overflow line cant handle it.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Crash_Course
Prestone's cooling system flush product works wonderfully. I used it extensively while I was getting the mud out of my system.
How many flushes did it take? I did a ton of running and changing water and some back flushes.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:33 PM

Year: 1995,1997

Install a new radiator cap.
Old 12-26-2015, 11:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wauto
Install a new radiator cap.
2nd this. If it's spraying out of the cap it's not holding pressure.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

With the cap not holding pressure you'll boil over easier.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by jpmarine6786
2nd this. If it's spraying out of the cap it's not holding pressure.
Any suggestions on a radiator cap I replaced it twice from Autozone ... Also the rad is 1 year old so I know its not an issue with the filler neck.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Check the fan clutch also or do as most of us do and replace most of the cooling system radiator, water pump, thermostat, clutch, cap when you have ran a cleaner into engine, old radiator, heater core then flushed.

The cost is not that high and then they cool as if they were new and that's very good in fact using all stock items.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:00 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Originally Posted by steve_dub
Any suggestions on a radiator cap I replaced it twice from Autozone ... Also the rad is 1 year old so I know its not an issue with the filler neck.
Stant 16 lb. cap model 10231 (normal) or 10331 (with locking lever). The Carquest caps are the exact same thing, made by Stant but labeled Carquest. You can order it from Amazon for $7 if you don't have a Carquest convenient to you.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by extrashaky
You probably also have crap built up in the water jackets in the engine that won't come out easily. You may need to run a detergent through the system to get that stuff out. Someone here recently suggested running Amway detergent through the system, but you can also buy chemical coolant flush at the parts stores that is supposed to do the same thing.

That would be me. You can run it year round, and it won't hurt your system. Before you try that with a commercial flush, read the cautions. It's not good to leave that stuff in very long.

With the Amway, you can toss in a quarter cup and leave it for a quarter of a year. Or a full year. Flush, repeat as needed. Gets your cooling system sparkling clean, with whiter whites!

Seriously, it works really, really well. A water-only flush is a good step, as outlined above, but then do the Amway long-term flush a few times. Water alone will NOT get the built-up crud out of all the cooling passages.

No problem mixing the Amway with coolant. They are quite happy together.

No, I don't sell the stuff.

You can find a local dealer by searching at the Amway website.

Someone else mentioned that Dawn dishwashing liquid will do the same thing. Dunno, haven't tried it. If you go that route, use Dawn, not some other brand. It's really a lot better at cutting grease. When there's an oil spill, the animal rescue types use Dawn, and nothing else, to clean the oil from the various animals they are cleaning up. They have learned that it works much better.