Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Completely Clueless here needs help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 05:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 6 cyl
Default Completely Clueless here needs help.

Ok so please don't make fun of me first off. Second I am a completely clueless female dealing with a 97 Cherokee Sport Right Hand Drive I deliver mail. 6.0 automatic engine. 141,000 miles. So yesterday on the mail route I have problems with the steering its like driving in concrete can't turn the wheel hardly. I also notice a funny smell and some heat coming off of the hood of the car...I did not pop the hood didn't check anything I had to finish my route, so I had to have a friend drive me. Upon inspecting the vehicle this morning popped the hood. Noticed fluid all around, under the car its brownish looking. Steering pump? I don't know? Oh yes I also ended up nose first in a ditch due to ice storms even in 4 wheel drive on Thursday? I will put up pictures. Sorry so clueless.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Jen,

Welcome to the forum!

1. Check the level in the power steering pump. There is a little dipstick like doohickey on the cover and there are marks on it for hot/cold. If you lost a lot of power steering fluid, the level should reflect that.

2. If power steering fluid level is good, check transmission fluid, oil, etc. Eventually you'll find it. I suspect a power steering issue.

3. You need to isolate the root cause of this and replace it before driving it further.

BTW, your engine is a 6 cylinder, but it is a 4.0.....
Old 12-18-2010, 05:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

Sounds like a possible power steering pump failure or a loose belt.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:00 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1998

You may have a leak in one of your power steering lines. If you cannot find out where the leak is when it is not running, fill it up with fluid and have someone start it up and turn the wheel back and forth while you look for the leak(you will probably want to stand back a little though at first since you don't know which direction the fluid is coming out or how much is coming out.)
Old 12-19-2010, 08:12 AM

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Year: 98, 00, 01 and another 01
Engine: both 01 jeeps have viper coil pack

Is there someone at your post office who is mechanically inclined to look at it? If it is a leak and you still need your vehicle, carry extra power steering fluid with you.From one carrier to another, be safe out there on the route.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 6 cyl
Default Jeep Steering Problem

Thanks everybody for all of your help! I was able to determine that it is the power steering pump, and there were no leaks in the lines, and power steering fluid was sprayed all over the inside of the hood and was dripping everywhere. Also noticed that there was no antifreeze in the antifreeze container. Oh and I totally forgot to mention that on Thursday even in 4 wheel drive we had a major ice storm and the car went into a huge ditch nose first. I ended up having to get towed out and the tow truck had problems it was a solid sheet of ice no traction what so ever. Does anybody think all of these problems could have come from that incident? And also what does anybody else do as far as driving on snow and ice without winter or studded tires.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

So did you replace the power steering pump?

Best for you to keep an eye on all fluid levels on a regular basis......and be sure they are changed once in a while. That includes coolant, oil, tranny fluid, differentials, transfer case.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 ltr

Were you looking at the bottle on the fender for the antifreeze? If it did not have any it is not horrible... as long as the radiator has fluid. Top off the over flow bottle on the fender though and keep and eye on it.

Power steering pumps can be fun to replace, not overly hard though.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991

I use (Mud & Snow) tires year round. Little road noise during the summer, But worth putting up with. Because I do a some ice fishing during winter. (Driving around frozen lakes in N. E. Wisconsin.) And hunting, trout fishing, In the woods. It's nice to have a little grip. Right now I have Cooper Discoverer S/T's. I love them, and would buy them again.