Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Complete fluid change from conventional to synthetic. questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Complete fluid change from conventional to synthetic. questions

Ok so excuse me if this has been beaten to death. I have spent the last 4 hours searching for most my answers. but, hear goes.

I bought a 01 xj last monday, the tranny fluid is pretty dark brown, rear end has leaked some, and oil is fair.

Now at first I was like I am going to flush the tranny, just to "start fresh". But a buddy of mine ASE certified(for what thats worth lol) said he strongly advised against it at this point(jeeps got 147,xxx miles) said it could break a piece of sludge or dirt loose and clog a passage. ok makes sense.

So now I am wondering how to go about getting the most amount of fluid out of the tranny without flushing.. obviously dropping the pan, and replacing the filter is a must, but what about the torque converter? does it have a drain plug on these jeeps? I just dont want to drain part of it, only to leave in nasty fluid thats filling the TQ...

I am planning on a full fluid change on every thing and going 100% full synthetic on all of it.. brake, tranny, engine, front and rear end, transfer case, power steering pump, radiator.

I know theres a ton of debate on oils and synthetics and what have you. so I wont go into brands or any of that.

BTW- as of right now, the jeep runs good. shift well, goes into 4wd, it doesnt like to start on the first try though. but figure a tune up, throttle body cleaning...little TLC and Ill get her running like new.

So again sorry if this has been beaten like a dead horse. but I honestly did search, and pretty much came across a bunch of oil debates...lol
Old 09-16-2013, 10:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Yes, I would use multiple ATF drain & fills vs. a flush. Use a name-brand Dex III (either conventional or syn).

Synthetic oil and gear lube are fine. Use ATF (any quality conventional or syn ATF is fine) in the transfer case. All brake fluid is syn, so that's just a marketing gimmick; use a quality DOT 3. Use conventional green antifreeze when you flush the cooling system.

Use a Wix/NAPA Gold oil filter. Mopar or Purolator should be fine, too. Stay away from the OCOD (orange can of death).