Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Another New XJ owner here with ?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: '95
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Another New XJ owner here with ?????

I have a 95 XJ 4.0L Country 4x4 170K miles. We're changing all fluids and doing a tune up this weekend. My question is should I change the thermostat and water pump when I change the coolant. And are there other parts I should go ahead and replace while I'm changing other fluids. The plan is to drive it for a couple months as is before doing a lift.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:20 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Colonel Crispy
I have a 95 XJ 4.0L Country 4x4 170K miles. We're changing all fluids and doing a tune up this weekend. My question is should I change the thermostat and water pump when I change the coolant. And are there other parts I should go ahead and replace while I'm changing other fluids. The plan is to drive it for a couple months as is before doing a lift.
Make sure your radiator is in good shape. Mine cracked within 3 months of owning it.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:26 AM

Does it make sense to change the radiator at this time as well?
Old 08-20-2015, 09:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Does it make sense to change the radiator at this time as well?
I would not go that far, but definitely look it over. Changing the thermostat and water pump is cheap insurance though, and I would recommend it since you don't know the history of the Jeep. It's best to use an OEM thermostat.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

^ Agreed ^ But if you do want replace the radiator they are cheap under a $100 at AutoZone with an excellent (in store) warranty my son and I both replaced ours with them, his a 98 mine a 99.

Make sure when you clean/flush the system you do the heater core as well, turn the heat on and the lever on hi heat, most flow.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Make sure when you clean/flush the system you do the heater core as well, turn the heat on and the lever on hi heat, most flow.
On the later years you don't have to do this as the beater core is always passing fluid.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

I haven't priced things recently but last summer you could redo the complete cooling system for $250 or so. Unless you know that some component/components have been replaced your looking at a 20yr old system. Just my opinion but I'd consider redoing the whole system. We all should know by now how critical it is to keep these XJ cooling systems in top+ shape.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:44 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by toasterknight
On the later years you don't have to do this as the beater core is always passing fluid.
Fred,Toaster.
I have a '94 and am about to do a flush.
I will be removing the bypass valve,and recco OP does the same.
Do we have to move cabin heater controls to perform the flush? (In both directions).
Old 08-20-2015, 12:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by madmanmarty
Fred,Toaster.
I have a '94 and am about to do a flush.
I will be removing the bypass valve,and recco OP does the same.
Do we have to move cabin heater controls to perform the flush? (In both directions).
Without the bypass valve you shouldn't have to worry about it but a proper heater core flush will still do a better job.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:27 PM

I haven't priced things recently but last summer you could redo the complete cooling system for $250 or so. Unless you know that some component/components have been replaced your looking at a 20yr old system. Just my opinion but I'd consider redoing the whole system. We all should know by now how critical it is to keep these XJ cooling systems in top+ shape.

^^^^ this is kinda what I was thinking. This is my first jeep. I've always heard jeeps are shade tree mechanic friendly. I haven't totaled the cost of everything together but I'm surprised how inexpensive parts are.

Is there a need to upgrade the radiator?
Old 08-20-2015, 02:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001

Is there a need to upgrade the radiator?
I wouldn't put a cheap part store radiator in. Most of those have plastic end tanks, which is the whole problem with the factory ones to begin with. Having a warranty is great on parts, but doesn't help you when your end tank cracks open during a blizzard and strands you and your Jeep on the side of the highway in Canada (ask me how I know ). I replaced the one on my previous XJ with a radiator for around $100 with metal end tanks, but I honestly couldn't find the same one a couple months ago. I swear it had to come from Napa or one of the other physical stores, but I couldn't find it. Ended up putting a CSF 3-core on my current XJ. I got that one from JC Whitney.

If I were you, I would do the water pump and t-stat, but leave the radiator alone. Give it a thorough inspection, paying special attention to the the seams where the end tanks meet the fins. Look for any signs of coolant, and if you see some by the seams, go ahead and replace it. Also check the condition of the end tanks. Mine cracked wide open.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:21 AM

Instead of starting a new thread I thought I'd ask this here. Is changing the rear brakes from drums to discs an upgrade only for hardcore off roaders? I'm sure it's going to need brakes soon. Is this an upgrade I should go ahead and do to prepare for bigger tires. I am planning on doing a lift. 3" lift with 31"s will prolly be the most I would do. This is also going to be my sons daily driver.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

Definitely not for the hardcore type only at all. Soon as I'm able to I'm doing it. It solves a couple issues with the drum brakes on the Cherokees. The clunk when moving from a stop and the grabbing in damp weather. Got my parts here:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f71/di...on-kit-159484/
Old 08-21-2015, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by EZEARL
Definitely not for the hardcore type only at all. Soon as I'm able to I'm doing it. It solves a couple issues with the drum brakes on the Cherokees. The clunk when moving from a stop and the grabbing in damp weather. Got my parts here:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f71/di...on-kit-159484/
Thanks for the link. Ive seen this before but couldn't find it again. I'm pretty sure I have the Dana 35 so it sounds like it just bolts on. I'm not the a mechanical engineer or anything. How long would it take to do the work? Say worst case scenario. Lol. Plan for the worst hope for the best.