Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

cold air intake?? help

Old 01-31-2009, 02:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Renix 4.0 I6
Default cold air intake?? help

so im putting cold air intake on my jeep its a 88 cherokee. i took the air filter off and there is a bunch of oil in the bottom of the air box and half the filter was all oily. im guessing it came from the line running from the valve cover. im wondering if i can just elimanate that line and put this breather on it ??? also there was two more small vacuum lines going into the air box and i know you can put those on your cold air intake with the fittings i get with the cold air intake kit but isnt there just a vacuum canister i can buy and put them into it. and in front of the air box there is a vacuum line going to this choke thing that closes off air going into the box and opens it to a different air hose. what do i do with this is it gonna affect anything if i just take it completely out of my air intake? i could use some suggestions before i switch completly over to cold air intake.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L HO

The oil is probably from the intake tube, its most likely a bad PCV valve.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:14 PM

okay so i put the cold air intake on and put that breather on the valve cover and i had a place for all vacuum lines except the one that went to the choke it was hissing like crazy when i started it ... i just plugged it and let it run to see how everything was working... i have no choke and i backed it out of the garage and stalled it for the first time in a while but when i tryed starting it again it had no choke and it took a while so i put it back in the garage not wanting to get stranded somewhere. does anyone know what i can do about the choke problem and is plugging the vacuum line alright for a temporary fix??????
Old 01-31-2009, 04:27 PM

oh and also the hose that used to connect to the air box that goes to the intake manifold that was right beside where the intake is.. is it alright if i just put that in the old air intake cut out thing i have no idea what it does its a crappy hose too im gonna put a new hose on it but i have no idea what to do with it ?????
Old 01-31-2009, 05:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L High Output

If I were you i would replace the pcv valve on the valve cover.Then drill and tap your cold air intake tube for all the vaccuum lines and hoses that attatched to your factory airbox, and reattatch them. they are there for a reason, and certainly won't hurt your performance any. You'll still get the better airflow from the intake, and your XJ will still continue to operate properly.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:37 PM

well now the only vacuum line that isnt on there that used to be on there is the one for the choke where the air box has its little tube thing that goes to the front of the jeep for the air to go in it had a choke right there and now it doesnt idk what i should do about that
Old 01-31-2009, 06:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L High Output

My 95 didn't have this on it I don't think, but your 88 is a Renix 4.0, and mine is an HO so there could be differences. If you can drill into the intake tube in a similar location to where the line used to be and tap it so you can reattach that line might be your best bet. But as i said, I don't personally know about the choke thing you are referring to... Just seems to me that having all the stuff working as intended may be your best bet...
Old 01-31-2009, 06:37 PM

yeah i dont like the renix system id change it if i had the money and stuff but im on a budget and have other things i want on top of my prioritys for the jeep.. but yeah its just a butterfly valve operated by a small vacuum line. im gonna try to find one that i can just put into the intake tube and put the vacuum line to it but idk it was sucking constintly and its not supposed to that would close air off from coming in at all if it was hooked up to the old air box. but idk.. im not really good with vacuums so i dont know what this will affect. i know i only use a O2 sensor and a knock sensor and maybe another one but i dont have mass air flow sensor or anything where i can monitor the air going in to the fuel ratio i think it just leans the mixture or richens the mixture with the O2 sensor and the knock sensor and maybe one more that im not aware of. so idk what makes that vacuum line want to close off the air cause it idles fine and seems to be working right with the air-fuel mixture
Old 02-01-2009, 08:28 AM

does anyone out there have the same setup as me?? i dont know if i should put a choke back in or not
Old 02-01-2009, 12:51 PM

okay i asked this guy i know and he knows alot about cars he has been a mechanic since he was a teen and he is 60 something now and has owned his own garage for a long time and has always been into mechanics. he said that butterfly valve was ran by that vacuum line and it was supposed to keep the valve closed untill engine warms up and then opens full. he said plugging the line and not putting a new one in or anything wouldnt have any bad effect on the engine so if anyone out there has the same problem i did theres your answer
Old 02-01-2009, 01:46 PM

your old friend is right...its not a choke, its a hot air bypass for cold starts. There's a thermostatic vacuum valve in there , and closes that valve when its cold, and pulls intake air across the exhaust manifold. removing it might make it a bit cranky to drive for the first 2 minutes in VERY cold weather, but thats about it. I wouldnt just plug the line though...the line its self is prone to cracking...get a vacuum cap, and plug the manifold port.

I've got a home brewed K&N setup, and completely removed the hot air setup, the other 2 vacuum lines, and a bunch of other gear...no issues running without any of it, even in canadian winter temps, but someone had hacked at mine already with components from a bunch of Jeeps, plus Canadian spec emissions gear is a bit different on the Renix model, too.

FWIW, I've worked on quite a lot of Euro stuff...Renix isnt 'bad', just different from most N.American.