Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

clockspring causing misfire?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default clockspring causing misfire?

A little while ago on my way to work my 98 xj 4.0 started acting up (misfiring and trying to stall) and on the way home that day my horn started honking and wouldnt stop untill i unpluged the fuse. It ran fine for a little bit and started acting up again so I looked at my ignition coil and notaced a few hairline cracks in in so i decided to replace them and the plugs but still the same. I ran the codes and the only ignition ones I got were cps and tps. I replaced the tps first and it still didnt do anything. I ran the codes after replacing the tps and it still came up so being under warrentee I replaced it again. I ordered a cps online and replaced it but my jeep right away started to misfire at idle which it didnt do with the old one in so I put it back in and it idles fine. got a new one but continued to do the same thing so i put the old one in onece more So I was sitting in the driveway idleing and turned the steering wheel and it started to miss and eventually stall. if im on the gas turning a corner or backing a trailer in it does too. So my question is would a bad clockspring make it do this? (Also sometimes ill be driving and my cruse light will go on but the button doesn't turn it off nore work when i want it too and the airbag light stays on) I appreciate any advise thank you.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Bluestar
A little while ago on my way to work my 98 xj 4.0 started acting up (misfiring and trying to stall) and on the way home that day my horn started honking and wouldnt stop untill i unpluged the fuse. It ran fine for a little bit and started acting up again so I looked at my ignition coil and notaced a few hairline cracks in in so i decided to replace them and the plugs but still the same. I ran the codes and the only ignition ones I got were cps and tps. I replaced the tps first and it still didnt do anything. I ran the codes after replacing the tps and it still came up so being under warrentee I replaced it again. I ordered a cps online and replaced it but my jeep right away started to misfire at idle which it didnt do with the old one in so I put it back in and it idles fine. got a new one but continued to do the same thing so i put the old one in onece more So I was sitting in the driveway idleing and turned the steering wheel and it started to miss and eventually stall. if im on the gas turning a corner or backing a trailer in it does too. So my question is would a bad clockspring make it do this? (Also sometimes ill be driving and my cruse light will go on but the button doesn't turn it off nore work when i want it too and the airbag light stays on) I appreciate any advise thank you.
Classic symptoms of a clockspring gone south. The horn relay control coil circuit bleeds near battery voltage through the cruise control system to the 5 volt supply from the PCM, causing sensors using the 5 volt reference to go nuts.

You can isolate the problem by pulling the horn relay to see if it stops. Relay is in the JB in the passenger footwell. You have to remove the JB cover to get at it. If, by pulling the horn relay, it fixes it you know what you need to do. Leave the relay out until you can round up the clockspring. In the mean time, use your middle finger instead of the horn.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:29 PM
CF Veteran

Default more info

Pics of how to remove JB cover and JB layout.

Name:  JBACCESS-1.jpg
Views: 3295
Size:  110.1 KB

Name:  99XJJunctionBlock-1.jpg
Views: 3819
Size:  78.1 KB
Old 11-03-2013, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by CCKen
Classic symptoms of a clockspring gone south. The horn relay control coil circuit bleeds near battery voltage through the cruise control system to the 5 volt supply from the PCM, causing sensors using the 5 volt reference to go nuts.

You can isolate the problem by pulling the horn relay to see if it stops. Relay is in the JB in the passenger footwell. You have to remove the JB cover to get at it. If, by pulling the horn relay, it fixes it you know what you need to do. Leave the relay out until you can round up the clockspring. In the mean time, use your middle finger instead of the horn.
You are a f***in genius man worked as soon as I unplugged the relay, and just for the hell of it I plugged it back in and it stalled right away lol. I replaced the relay when my problem first happened but it didnt cross my mine to just unplug it.Thank you I appreciate your help very much.Do you happen to know if I can use a clockspring without cruse control (because I never use it anyways) or will that mess things up?
Old 11-03-2013, 07:33 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Bluestar
You are a f***in genius man worked as soon as I unplugged the relay, and just for the hell of it I plugged it back in and it stalled right away lol. I replaced the relay when my problem first happened but it didnt cross my mine to just unplug it.Thank you I appreciate your help very much.Do you happen to know if I can use a clockspring without cruse control (because I never use it anyways) or will that mess things up?
Tricks are for kids...

Just go with a clockspring that's for your Jeep.

Try not to get one from the Junk Yard. It could be in the same shape as yours.