Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Clicking noise when braking/coming to a stop

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Clicking noise when braking/coming to a stop

When coming to a stop light or stop sign, there is a loud clicking noise from what sounds like the rear brakes. It is only when coming to the stop and with my foot is on the brake pedal. Not when coasting, accelerating or any other time.

Originally thought it was the rear drive shaft u-joints. Replaced those. Didnt fix anything. Also replaced the hardware in the front brakes, along with new pads and rotors. Nothing.

Took brake drums off, everything looks fine. Drums are in what look like good shape.

Im going to be replacing my motor mounts and transmission mount soon. But im not sure that has anything to do with it.

Does anyone have any other ideas as to what this clicking noise could be? It is driving me crazy. And im sure it is not healthy and like to get it fixed.

Thank you!
Old 11-04-2010, 09:20 PM

Year: 1995

Bump. I'm having the same problem.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

probably normal drive line play. mine do it all the time. some times when letting off the breaks. you might come to find your rear breaks being very aggressive when wet, this too, seems to be normal. remember- jeep not jag
Old 11-05-2010, 12:03 AM

Mine is doing the same thing. It happens with every one complete revolution of the tire on the right rear. Had my brother drive it down the street while I was watching, and I could see my right rear tire/wheel wobbling just the slightest bit. Looks like I have a bent axle flange. Don't have the money to fix it, so I just turn the music up. Might be something to check?
Old 11-05-2010, 12:30 AM

Year: 2001

I had the same problem with the clicking coming from what sounded like the rear brakes or rear end along with the car making a clunking sounds as the rear of the car seemed to kind of squat as the weight shifted back to the rear of the car during a stop, for clarification all of my issues or sounds were only when coming to a stop. I finally got a chance to work on my car today so I went under and checked things out and nothing seemed out of place at all. Checked the brakes, everything was fine there, I popped the drive shaft just to check things out and everything seemed OK with the exception that the splines on the slip yoke was bone dry and thought that might be at least some of my problem. So, I greased it up with some of that Mobile 1 grease and bolted it back together. Fixed all of the noises and strange issues I was having, it appears that my drivehaft/slip yoke was binding and causing all kinds of problems. Might be something you might want to try if you haven't allready, it only takes 10 minutes.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:59 PM

Year: 1997

So I ended up replacing the transmission mount and motor mounts. No more clicking. At all.

Im not sure if the busted motor mount and worn transmission mount were causing things to shift just enough to be binding or make contact with something it shouldn't be. But there is no more clicking when coming to a stop after replacing the mounts. Ive been driving it for about 6 months without any noise.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:25 PM

Year: 1995

So anywhere from a drive shaft to transmission/motor mount problem. That seems far and few between but good info all the same. As for the "jeep not a jag" comment; really? Brake related concerns are a safety issue, no matter what you drive.