Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cleaned my NSS POP POW ELECTRIC SMELL

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 165,00 Miles
Default Cleaned my NSS POP POW ELECTRIC SMELL

Several months ago I threw a NSS code. 165,500 on Jeep. Got it at 165. The NSS was never a problem but has stuck in my mind. Today I took it off and cleaned it well (Bleeping Jeep style). It actually wasn't as bad as some I have seen online. I used BULB grease in the little packet at the parts store as I read online it is actually like diaelectric grease. The Parts Mgr also said it was the same. I just installed a new starter several days ago also. When I went to start it after NSS completion I got a loud POP and the starter wouldn't engage but was trying to turn over and I got a strong electrical short smell. Stopped and turned the key off. Shifter wouldn't move. I loosened the big nut with the locking tabs and the shifter would move although it felt stiff. Then it started up and shifted fine. Drove it with no tranny issues or electrical interference. Now it won't start in neutral and any other gear (good) except Park. It started in neutral before I cleaned it.

One question I have is how tight should that big nut be that uses the locking tabs. Mine is pretty loose now. Also any idea of what electrical pop I got? I'm thinking maybe the starter since it didn't want to engage when I got the pop. The starter has however been working fine the few times I used it after install. Everything seems fine now except the neutral no start. Something happened. Any ideas on what happened and how tight the nut should be and the no neutral start? As always thanks in advance. Sandyman No good deed goes unpunished I guess.

Last edited by Sandyman; 11-02-2015 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 165,00 Miles

Please disregard my thread. After some dinner, I think I got it all worked out and the electrical. I hate to reveal what I found but you deserve to know if you read this. I don't think my NSS was seated in far enough even though the mounting bolt was tight, I thought. I think the electrical was caused by this improper seating and I see how the big nut should be tightened now. Everything is fine for now shifting starting etc.