Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Chinese Parts Death of the XJ? Frustrated!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 07:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Chinese Parts Death of the XJ? Frustrated!

Hey guys,

Anybody else frustrated with all of the Chinese knockoff parts out there, failing over and over? Fuel pump assemblies - I've been through the Bosch (Bosch no longer makes this pump), Delphi, Carter, and Mopar, yes Mopar! check valve failures, no pressure while running, sender failures, multiple vehicles. ignition coil - mopar plug not making contact, manufactured incorrectly, tested on 3 different Jeeps. crank position sensors - Standard, OEM, BWD, Mopar multiple failures within 3 months. Its hard enough to troubleshoot these problems, but replacement part failures with warranties, especially Mopar, is inexcusable! Anybody have any success stories with these parts in 2019? Thx for your time!
Old 03-22-2019, 08:04 AM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Unfortunately this is how it is lately . It took 4 NEW ac Delco fuel injectors to get one good one for me last week ...
Old 03-22-2019, 08:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 149 Likes on 126 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: Turbo 4.0

I'm running a $12 Ebay CPS that I beat with a hammer to advance the timing for about 5-6 years? I've also had them dead out of the box. I've had the same scenario with napa, advanced auto, and oriellys. So why bother with the higher price?
Old 03-22-2019, 10:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,065 Likes on 856 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0

I'm still on the original 1989 CPS in mine. I have a junkyard spare just in case. Of course I probably just jinxed myself.

But yeah, "Lifetime Warranty" now seems to mean changing it every few years for the lifetime of the vehicle.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:47 PM
jpk

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Cummins93
I'm running a $12 Ebay CPS that I beat with a hammer to advance the timing for about 5-6 years? I've also had them dead out of the box. I've had the same scenario with napa, advanced auto, and oriellys. So why bother with the higher price?
That's exactly what I did two years ago. I bought two so now I have a spare. I had a dead solenoid in my tranny. I called all the local auto parts box stores, the wanted $100.00 just for one solenoid. I looked on ebay, got all three, a replacement filter and a gasket for $75.00 shipped in a kit. I never go to the dealer for parts for an XJ. Even the dealer replacement parts are all made in China.

Old 03-30-2019, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Hi, I just had the fuel pump assembly in my 01 XJ changed out by a mechanic with a Delphi pump. I was pissed when I found out they didn't clean the tank. I kept the old part and can rebuild it. Found an original OEM filter (USA made) and a bosch pump. So a potential solution is getting component parts and rebuilding. I would recommend anyone with an older Jeep replace the filter. Very dirty fuel coming out!

NEW BOSCH PUMPhttps://www.ebay.com/itm/1-New-OEM-B...s/322286036473

NEW FUEL FILTER https://www.mymoparparts.com/oem-par...filter-4798301
Old 03-31-2019, 03:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000

Lately I have been thinking about stocking up on some things. When people say to use Mopar parts for certain things I am inclined to agree.

I had to replace my CPS last year. Picked up a Mopar one for $79 off Amazon. Thinking about buying a backup.

When my oil pressure sensor went a few years ago I used a Napa Echlin one instead on that. So far so good. But that is an easy fix if it does go bad.

I am seeing a small anti-freeze leak now. I haven't gotten under the Jeep yet to figure out where it is coming from, waiting for the weather to break, but am leaning towards it coming from the weep hole in the water pump. I have picked up a few parts so far just in case. The black tube to the water pump and a new thermostat housing. Thinking about redoing all that just because. I found a temp sensor for $8. I could not help myself. If I replace the thermostat housing I am going to use the $8 sensor. My curiosity got the better of me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/370901814624

It comes with a 10 year warranty and I figure it is an easy enough fix for if and when it goes bad.

When the I can't find a Bosch fuel pump threads pop up from time to time I start thinking about it. Some guy local to me on Craigslist was selling a Mopar one for $150. Listing had been up for the longest time. Finally just said screw it and bought it to have. He showed me the receipt from the dealership and it said $325 not including the tax. I even know the dealership from when I used to live in that area a zillion years ago and used to deal with them for the CJ's I used to own way back when.

Seems guys have pretty good luck with the Ebay tranny solenoids.

I would like to see a list of what people think are the more important sensors and whatnot that if possible you should use a Mopar one on.
Old 03-31-2019, 04:14 AM
awg
CF Veteran

Received 602 Likes on 512 Posts
Year: 96

bought a new, but never fitted Delco-Remy starter of a Jeep mechanic, $100..fair price..he sold his Jeep due to upcoming move OS

"much better than that cheap Chinese crap" he tells me over phone (XJ starters range from $130 to ~$500 on Ebay)

arrives in the post, new in box "made in China"

I have 3 XJ, and went thru some starter issues a while back...I noticed the brush assembly in one of the starters was of slightly different design than OEM

basically it had **** engineering that made failure more likely, the springs that push the carbon blocks are deficient
Old 03-31-2019, 04:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by awg
bought a new, but never fitted Delco-Remy starter of a Jeep mechanic, $100..fair price..he sold his Jeep due to upcoming move OS

"much better than that cheap Chinese crap" he tells me over phone (XJ starters range from $130 to ~$500 on Ebay)

arrives in the post, new in box "made in China"

I have 3 XJ, and went thru some starter issues a while back...I noticed the brush assembly in one of the starters was of slightly different design than OEM

basically it had **** engineering that made failure more likely, the springs that push the carbon blocks are deficient
That does seem like a really good price for a name brand new starter. I think I paid $136 for my new, not remaned, Napa one. Comes with a lifetime warranty. Thinking it has been in there for 4 years now.
Old 03-31-2019, 08:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995

Bought a new OEM oil sending unit from dealer bad out of the box, got one from Napa didn't want to wait for dealer to order another lasted about 300 miles, got one from Autozone has been on there since
Old 03-31-2019, 07:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by lawsoncl
I'm still on the original 1989 CPS in mine. I have a junkyard spare just in case. Of course I probably just jinxed myself.

But yeah, "Lifetime Warranty" now seems to mean changing it every few years for the lifetime of the vehicle.
LOL.

The CPS went out on my 96 Sport a couple years back while I was driving. I coasted into a parking lot. I already knew it was going bad from experiencing bucking while driving so I had ordered a 45.00 sensor from Rock Auto. It arrived the day after the original finally croaked. I changed it in the parking lot. It started right away and got me almost exactly 3 miles closer to home when it also croaked. I got a $74.00 sensor from Advance Auto and it hasn't given me any problems.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:07 PM
awg
CF Veteran

Received 602 Likes on 512 Posts
Year: 96

Originally Posted by Idunno
LOL.

The CPS went out on my 96 Sport a couple years back while I was driving. I coasted into a parking lot. I already knew it was going bad from experiencing bucking while driving so I had ordered a 45.00 sensor from Rock Auto. It arrived the day after the original finally croaked. I changed it in the parking lot. It started right away and got me almost exactly 3 miles closer to home when it also croaked. I got a $74.00 sensor from Advance Auto and it hasn't given me any problems.
I have 3 x '96..got a $8 CPS off Ebay, straight from China..how could I resist

If one of mine fails, I will swap out a factory item, then install the $8 item on one of my spares, see if it works
Old 04-01-2019, 07:13 PM

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts
Year: 1987

I try to retain or rebuild OEM parts whenever I can. It's not just Chinese parts, OEM parts in general are built to a higher standard than aftermarket parts. From what I've seen. Obviously that's not 100% across the board, but quite often true.