Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cheapest way to deal with rear panel rust?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 09:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default Cheapest way to deal with rear panel rust?

I removed both bumper endcaps this evening to start painting them and discovered this on the right side:

I'm not going to bother repairing it. But, does something like a rust transformer have any effect on something like this so it doesn't continue to get worse? The bumper endcap is obviously going to cover it up anyway...

Any on that note: notice that the guide bracket is also missing... without having to get a new one and rivet it on (and risk punching through rust...) is there an easier makeshift way to secure the bumper other than just driving a screw into the side under the wheel well (which is what the previous owner clearly did...) .
Old 04-24-2018, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

The only certain way I know of is to cut away the rust entirely and then immediately and properly paint/coat the resulting bare metal. As long as there is any rust there it will always get worse.

-T.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee

Rust convertor is usually temporary in my experience. Unless ALL the rust is cut out, it will keep eating away at the panel from the backside anyway. The bumper cap will cover the panel, but if there are holes in it, cover those up with aluminum foil tape for duct work. It sticks, and stays put. Atleast it has for me. Used it to cover a hole in the rocker panel on the Mustang last year and its still holding tight.

Not sure about the bumper caps on older XJ but for my 97 the factory used a 1/4" screw to secure the front of the cap to the underside of the 1/4, and another securing it to the underside of the bumper. Along with that bracket youre missing. You shouldnt have any issues not using the bracket, as long as the cap is secured by other means. The bracket helps, but if youve been driving without it and the bumper cap never fell off, dont worry about it. As long as its bolted down, its not going anywhere.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:57 AM

Well unfortunately I started picking away at some of the rust closest to the wheelwell, and basically picked off the piece that it once secured to...

the bolt under the metal bumper will be good still but I may have to get creative with keeping it straight and lined up (I worry about the dumbest things lol)
Old 04-29-2018, 09:28 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 L I6

I think many people just cut and fold that area completely out. Search "xj cut and fold" on youtube.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997

If the cut and fold isnt for you just buy some 22g sheetemtal, metal sheers and start taking measurements, and then start forming a new panel. Check the videos on Youtube for hand forming sheetmetal to get an idea of how to do it. I did just that when tackling that same spot for my 97. I needed the inner panel, the one with the drain plug in. Nobody made one, so i made my own, using handtools. If a shop does the welding, cut the rusty stuff out yourself to save some labor. You can buy the outer panels if you need them, or patch whats left. Tools and supplies needed will depend on how far you want to go with it. Cut and fold is the easiest. Its exactly what it says. Like said, Youtube. Bleepinjeep is one of them.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

Here's cut and fold:

Old 04-30-2018, 08:45 AM

Thanks guys-
i punched away what I could that came off easy and figured as long as the bumper end cap covers it, I don’t really care that much. Of course, I’ll cut what I can off cleaner and use some rust reformer on it to protect what’s left. I have to figure out now how to hook on the end cap with part of the splash guard area missing and no bumper guide hooks...