Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Catastrophic failure on All Counts...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 03:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994/ 96 engine
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight 6 Baby!
Cool Catastrophic failure on All Counts...

So I went to to do my front brakes..no go. Could not get a stripped nut off the passenger tire. Blew out 5 drill bits just to destroy it. Gave up. Installed new fog/spot Led's and they came out nice. Switch works, relay works...I gave a yay. Now...my Jeep won't start. Cranks forever but won't start. I believe the fuel pump is priming cause I hit the gas tank with a mallet but I do not think it is the fuel pump. Checked every fuse with a voltmeter..all good.. What the hell did I do? What the hell wire did I shift? This thing always starts on a single crank...I disconnected the fog lights, and the battery...no change. Something is wrong and I must have done it somewhere. Any advice before I get it towed to my homeboy mechanic? I tried to test most of the obvious stuff..now I am just lost.
Old 12-29-2018, 04:07 PM
awg
CF Veteran

Received 606 Likes on 516 Posts
Year: 96
Engine: 4.0

try cranking and pumping throttle, my computer needed that after a flat battery, came good after a few mins of battery charge by alt,

have you verified fuel pressure at the fuel rail valve by pressing the valve pin?

have you verified spark at the wires or plugs ?
Old 12-29-2018, 05:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

A crank-no-start condition basically always starts with the same tests:

1. Test for spark
2. Test for fuel delivery
If 1 and 2 are both good - then:
3. Test for air delivery (feather the throttle while starting)

Did you remember to connect the small black ground wire from the battery negative terminal to the fender (about 4 inches long)? Without this, your fuel pump might have problems.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:46 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Well any news?
Old 12-30-2018, 06:43 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by RockinRonnie
Well any news?
It was a long day of failures so I took a break and put away my tools and called it a day. So once daybreak hits I can go for it with a fresh mind. I have found that sometimes after a series of failures it is best to
walk away for a while. Even though I had a terrible nights sleep trying to trace all my tracks with racing mind. Oh well coffee and at least I am off today. So I will be running the tests.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:21 PM
Seasoned Member

So I spent half the day trying to retrace any steps I could have made that screwed up the engine. I removed the fog light wiring just to eliminate that because it was the last thing I did. Fuel pump is priming, fuel pressure I believe is correct, so I began tracing various wire locations I could have hit....and I did find something quite terrible though it did not fix the problem. Underneath the distributor I believe is the cps sensor? Anyhow there was a 3 wire connector that was connected to another 3 wires and after careful inspection, the wires feeding the recieveing connector were shorted and destroyed! I was like no way the truck can run with this. So I pulled the battery and had to splice the wires directly. I put the battery back in and not a single change. I think when the wires shorted they may have destroyed something else in the system. Now I am at a complete loss and I giving it back to my mechanic. I mean they did do the engine swap and I am surprised they did not notice the smoked wires on that connector.

These wires were all touching each other right at the connection point.
I guess my question is what could this have done to the rest of the electrical system? Have any of you dealt with this before? I am at a loss. My whole weekend shot but I will not give up. I have to run errands the rest of the day....Any info would certainly be helpful!!
Old 12-31-2018, 04:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Talking She Lives Again!!!!

So yeah the last post was frustration and devastation but this post is more of a wtf happened. I repaired the camshaft position sensor wires yesterday but she still would not start. I gave up and called it a day.
I got off work a little early today so I decided to go dive in for an hour of troubleshooting. I did not have to. Turned the key first thing for spite and she started right up as if nothing happened/...WTF? Is it possible to flood the engine
somehow? I left it exactly as it was between yesterday and today and today she ran like a princess...like she always does. So I wired back up the fog lights_with the engine running/// and no change. Still runs great. I know those cps wires were trashed and I did fix them but why didn't she start yesterday? Whatever I am still bringing it to my mechanic...cause he is my bro and he better get this thing straight. So Happy New Years! My baby runs great with incredible light power and I am finally breathing a sigh of relief. wow.