Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Catalytic Convert + Mount

Old 04-10-2012, 12:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Catalytic Convert + Mount

My Cat fell off not too long ago and I need to get a new one now obviously, but I was wondering if I need a bracket too. I don't know if I have anything there to secure the cat, since i think it was attached to it. I'm looking at different ones and they all look the same. Do they not come with them?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/universal-c...=d1163y1992j1#

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...gs+Best+Seller

I'll buy online if I need to, but I can go to a NAPA, O'reillys, Advanced, Pep, whatever really.

Cheers
Old 04-10-2012, 01:13 AM

Year: 1993

I'm not sure what your asking. How much of your exhaust are you missing? Did you lose only the cat, or everything from the cat to the tailpipe?

By bracket do you mean exhaust hangers, or muffler clamps?

*edit* just remembered that some years the cat bolts to the downpipe. My info is based on a '93 4.0*

Your downpipe is bolted with a flange to the manifold, then just before the tranny crossmember will have a metal rod welded to it that fits through your crossmember. The cat should be welded to the end of the downpipe, then a piece of pipe welded to the other side. Next is the muffler, which is ok to be clamped, then the taipipe. The tailpipe should have a hanger just before the axle, then another one after the axle close to your rear bumper.

As far as cats go, you should be fine with any universal cat since you aren't from California(from my understanding). There are direct fit units but universal ones are cheaper. I used magnaflow on my xj, and the gf's Dakota. Bout 70- 80 bucks each.

Last edited by Coastal; 04-10-2012 at 01:43 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:04 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Coastal
I'm not sure what your asking. How much of your exhaust are you missing? Did you lose only the cat, or everything from the cat to the tailpipe?

By bracket do you mean exhaust hangers, or muffler clamps?

*edit* just remembered that some years the cat bolts to the downpipe. My info is based on a '93 4.0*

Your downpipe is bolted with a flange to the manifold, then just before the tranny crossmember will have a metal rod welded to it that fits through your crossmember. The cat should be welded to the end of the downpipe, then a piece of pipe welded to the other side. Next is the muffler, which is ok to be clamped, then the taipipe. The tailpipe should have a hanger just before the axle, then another one after the axle close to your rear bumper.

As far as cats go, you should be fine with any universal cat since you aren't from California(from my understanding). There are direct fit units but universal ones are cheaper. I used magnaflow on my xj, and the gf's Dakota. Bout 70- 80 bucks each.
It was just my cat that fell off (the muffler came off the day before, since my u joint driveshaft broke, that made the muffler come off) then the next day I was driving around with just the cat, and it fell off during the day, and there's nothing there now. I do have a hanger for a tailpipe that's closer to the gas tank. I just want to know if I buy say that universal cat, do I just insert it into the hole and weld?

Here's a pic from Friday when my semi-welded straight pipe fell off.
Catalytic Convert + Mount-d9mf7.jpg

I don't know if they sell catalytic converters with brackets or mounts, or if they just get inserted and welded. Do I put in another type of pipe into that hole, and then the cat?

Thanks!
Old 04-10-2012, 11:12 AM
CF Veteran

I just figured out I need the 4 bolt flange it mounts to. Is there a way I can buy that separately? All the cats I see with it are $100. Can I get that flange and use it on that $60 universal?

Thanks
Old 04-10-2012, 11:13 AM
CF Veteran

I just figured out I need the 4 bolt flange it mounts to. Is there a way I can buy that separately? All the cats I see with it are $100. Can I get that flange and use it on that $60 universal?

Thanks
Old 04-10-2012, 05:47 PM

Year: 1993

if you can weld it don't worry about the flange. Just get a universal cat, cut off the flange on the pipe there, stick the pipe in the hole (insert joke here, oh wait too late) and weld it. OR use a direct fit cat with a flange on it. The flange is just to make it easier too replace only the cat if you still have the rest of the factory exhaust.

Last edited by Coastal; 04-10-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:23 PM
CF Veteran

I ended up buying a direct fit cat with flange. There's no flange on that pipe. The pipe was sloppily welded to that section (manifold?), and finally broke.

Thanks!