Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Car cut off while driving

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Car cut off while driving

I was wheeling the other day through some woods and my 88 cherokee cut off on me. It is the first time it has happened, i just don't want the problem to happen again. I don't think it over heated because there wasn't an ounce of smoke or anything, it just cut off.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Were you able to get it started again or not? If you did, did it start right up or did it take more cranks then normal. I so it is possible that it could be your cps.
Give a little more info to give us a better idea what it could be.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

The "crankshaft position sensor" is the primary suspect.

Absolutely could be other things like coil, ignition control module, etc......but the crank sensor is highest on the list of possibilities.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:24 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,527 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Test the CPS. It could be onit's way out.

Renix CPS Testing and Adjusting

Renix CPSs have to put out a strong enough signal to the ECU so that it will provide spark.
Most tests for the CPS suggest checking it for an ohms value. This is unreliable and can cause some wasted time and aggravation in your diagnosis of a no-start issue as the CPS will test good when in fact it is bad.
The problem with the ohms test is you can have the correct amount of resistance through the CPS but it isn’t generating enough voltage to trigger the ECU to provide spark.
Unplug the harness connector from the CPS. Using your voltmeter set on AC volts and probing both wires in the connector going to the CPS, crank the engine over. It won’t start with the CPS disconnected.
You should get a reading of .5 AC volts.
If you are down in the .35 AC volts range or lower on your meter reading, you can have intermittent crank/no-start conditions from your Renix Jeep. Some NEW CPSs (from the big box parts stores) have registered only .2 AC volts while reading the proper resistance!! That’s a definite no-start condition. Best to buy your CPS from Napa or the dealer.
Sometimes on a manual transmission equipped Renix Jeep there is an accumulation of debris on the tip of the CPS. It’s worn off clutch material and since the CPS is a magnet, the metal sticks to the tip of the CPS causing a reduced voltage signal. You MAY get by with cleaning the tip of the CPS off.
A little trick for increasing the output of your CPS is to drill out it’s mounting holes with the first drill bit that just won’t fit through the original holes. Then, when mounting it, hold the CPS down as close to the flywheel as you can while tightening the bolts.

Revised 11-29-2011