Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

A/C leak? Not working well at all.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default A/C leak? Not working well at all.

The previous owner was my cousin and he said he took it to a shop and they told him there was a leak in the system, (this may or may not be true). I put my hand over everything in the engine bay that had to do with the ac lines, compressor, and de-humidifier thing but felt nothing. The steel line coming from a/c radiator thing, (looks like the coolant radiator), that goes into the firewall, was freezing cold in the hot engine bay, and whenever the compressor would kick on, (it kicks on very often maybe once every 5-10 seconds), the line would get much colder and I could feel something flowing through it much faster. It loses a lot of the cold after a few seconds. However the A/C line that comes out of the firewall right next to the other one was not cold at all. Also the line going from the compressor to the radiator thing was super hot.
The breeze coming from the vents is slightly cold. I believe it could be about 60 degrees F or so. I have no idea how an A/C works but am hoping that someone might have an idea if this is a common problem or something. It seems there really could be a leak, or it could be like the heater hose where it gets plugged up and doesn't let the gas/liquid through.
I read up somewhere that the A/C can expel gasses that aren't good for the environment so I'm not going to touch anything unless I'm directed by someone knowledgeable on this forum. I would just take this to a shop but I need to save money for college, and don't care enough to spend $800 to take apart the whole dashboard or something time consuming.
Also thanks for all the help that you guys give. I probably wouldn't be able to work on the jeep for the most part without your guy's help.

Last edited by Dfread; 05-15-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

My AC hasn't worked in over four years because my evaporator leaks and I'm too lazy to replace it. I just live with it.

If you do have a leak in your system the system pressure will get low enough to shut down the system through the low pressure switch to protect the system.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

You can't find a leak in the ac system by feeling with you hand unless it is a major leak. Either you will have to do a dye test or have it sniffed with a machine.