Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2000 XJ, AW4, 2WD, transmission broke?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 2000 XJ, AW4, 2WD, transmission broke?

Sons truck started grinding when starting off in 1st gear yesterday. While driving, it sounds like maybe 2nd gear is grinding also, but 3d gear is quiet.

The grinding is from under the truck, tranny area.

Took it to a local shop that I trust (they've done other repair stuff for my wife's car and we were happy, they're general maintenance but say they're ok with transmission work too), and they say I'm looking about $1,500 for a swap. Rebuild is about double that. I'm taking it a transmission shop Monday (not open today) for a second opinion.

Fluid is full and not dark or burned, it smells like trans fluid. Actually looked a little high when I checked it after my son complained about the noise, but it was hot... and not that high... He says he's never added any so if it's high, then it's been high for years.

Grinding is a very metalic... metal on metal sound. Also, it seems to be slipping while in first gear... RPMs go up but truck only accelerates gently, less than I would have expected... but I don't drive it regularly either.

Is my local repair shop right... does it sound like the tranny is really shot? I'm surprised because it's got under 110K on it and at least for the last few years it has been driven pretty moderately. It does have bigger tires than stock but not stupidly bigger.

I know you can't diagnose over the internet but I'm just sort of looking for ideas on the way ahead. I've got two broke cars now so I'm NOT looking for a new project... besides he graduates HS in a couple of weeks and needs it for work. If this becomes my project, then my truck becomes his DD.

Thoughts?

thanks.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L H/O

maybe swap in a jy tranny. would be the cheapest option.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

If you are really asking "Can a high school kid trash a Cherokee?", then the answer is yes, sounds like your truck will be next item on his hit list.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
If you are really asking "Can a high school kid trash a Cherokee?", then the answer is yes, sounds like your truck will be next item on his hit list.
Remember I said I had 2 other broke cars? Yeah... he broke both of them. First his ranger... looks like a cracked block but won't know until I pull the head (maybe just a gasket). Then he drove my car until he could find another and the while driving it the check engine light came on "all by its self, I was just driving".

Old 05-11-2013, 11:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

Just to throw this out there, but my transmission needed to be rebuilt with only 78,000 miles on it. It was 2 months into the 3 month warranty after I bought it from a car lot. They would've swapped in a used one for free or I could opt for a rebuild for $500. I chose the rebuild. I don't think the PO drove mine especially hard, it's still going strong at 132,000.

Also, what's the check engine light on for in the other car?

Last edited by GreenClassic; 05-11-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by GreenClassic
Just to throw this out there, but my transmission needed to be rebuilt with only 78,000 miles on it. It was 2 months into the 3 month warranty ......
I'm glad it was under warranty! We got this from my brother... he's had it for 3 or so and my son has been driving for almost a year.
family=no warranty.

But it's a great truck so we don't mind fixing it... we just would rather not spend $1,500 to do it!!!!

Since no one has chimed in that I'm being robbed, does 1,500 for a swap and $3K for a complete rebuild sound appropriate?
Old 05-12-2013, 07:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by ScottAlvar
I'm glad it was under warranty! We got this from my brother... he's had it for 3 or so and my son has been driving for almost a year.
family=no warranty.

But it's a great truck so we don't mind fixing it... we just would rather not spend $1,500 to do it!!!!

Since no one has chimed in that I'm being robbed, does 1,500 for a swap and $3K for a complete rebuild sound appropriate?
A rebuilt unit costs appx $900.00, the labor for the transmission R&R is 4.0 hours. If the labor rate is $100/hr you're looking at a total of around $1,300. Now a junkyard unit (under $500) can be done in the driveway and not cost a fortune.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Remember I said I had 2 other broke cars? Yeah... he broke both of them. First his ranger... looks like a cracked block but won't know until I pull the head (maybe just a gasket). Then he drove my car until he could find another and the while driving it the check engine light came on "all by its self, I was just driving".

Oh, I feel your pain. I have four sons
Probably a head gasket on the Ranger, some were notorious for that. I popped it twice in my 4.0 Ranger, transmission failed at 75K too. Erm... I was just driving, lol.
I'd go for the scrapyard option. They go for about $250 around here. It's an even simpler swap in a 2WD, you can do it in the garage with simple hand tools and a transmission jack. Or make Don Garlits Jr. do it, lol.

Last edited by Radi; 05-13-2013 at 12:36 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Radi
I'd go for the scrapyard option. They go for about $250 around here. It's an even simpler swap in a 2WD, you can do it in the garage with simple hand tools and a transmission jack. Or make Don Garlits Jr. do it, lol.
Wow. Wish I could find one around Las Vegas like that. Best I could come up with is nearly $800 for low mileage (claimed 39K) from a parts house. Online, SW engines has quoted $690 with a 1 year warranty. These are pulls, which are "visually inspected and cleaned".
Old 05-15-2013, 04:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow. Wish I could find one around Las Vegas like that. Best I could come up with is nearly $800 for low mileage (claimed 39K) from a parts house. Online, SW engines has quoted $690 with a 1 year warranty. These are pulls, which are "visually inspected and cleaned".

www.car-part.com

Take a look there, it searches salvage yards nationwide. You can sort by distance or price.