Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

A/C Condenser Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default A/C Condenser Questions

Doing a cooling system Upgrade on 1996 XJ SE w/ 4.0L. Got an F&F dynamics triple threat 3 core aluminum Rad with 3 electric ball bearing fans ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEEP-CHEROKE...#ht_3896wt_907 this kit with the radiator they sell) I am going to replace the transmission cooler lines with it and am thinking of adding a stand alone trans cooler. My questions regarding the a/c condensor (and yes i realize this is not cooling system related... but it leaked like a sieve when dye was pushed into the system.) ........... It seems that every image i see of this condenser online are slightly different.... some have metal lines that come with it to attach to flexible lines on the vehicle, others have no lines. While i am replacing the rad and such, i figure perfect time to put a new condenser in. I just didnt know if there is a reliable place to correctly identify which condenser is in the vehicle. (yes i thought of the dealer, but they no longer produce the condenser and wouldn't give me an answer on exactly what the correct condenser looks like) on a side note, I assume the orrifice tube and receiver/drier are good ideas to also replace at this time..... ideas? Suggestions? thanks in advance guys
Old 02-17-2012, 06:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Snap a pic of your condenser on your phone and at some local auto parts stores, compare your condenser lines to theirs. If you order off the Internet, make sure they have a good return policy. Evap and rubber hose/manifold should be be cleaned out with a/c flush and blown out with compressed air. Accumulator/dryer and liquid line/orifice tube are filters so they should be replaced. Compressor should be removed, turned upside down and all the old oil drained. Now your ready to add the specific amount of oil for your year model (1/2 to new accumulator, 1/2 to compressor), button it all up, take it to a pro to pull a vacuum, add refrigerant and hope the evap doesn't leak.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

thx vry much~