Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Bushings. All of them

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Question Bushings. All of them

As the title says. I need to replace all the bushings on my suspension Rust is a big problem and I don't want to break anything. Any tips on making this job easier. Also. Any bushings that are harder to replace than others?
Old 11-02-2010, 05:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 98
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by Pit1981
As the title says. I need to replace all the bushings on my suspension Rust is a big problem and I don't want to break anything. Any tips on making this job easier. Also. Any bushings that are harder to replace than others?
Well the best set up would be a torch wrench like oxy/acetylene to heat things up, an HD impact gun, an impact hammer, and a 24" or longer breaker bar. Unfortunately breaking bolts is a reality, you just have to deal with it. Heating things up good helps a lot with rust. Most people do their thing with MAP gas, a breaker bar and good socket set (not to mention good ol' down home ingenuity).

Degree of difficulty depends on whether you use rubber or poly bushings. Control arms are 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other. If you use poly you have to press the rubber out of the sleeve. If you use rubber, you have to get the sleeve out of the arm.

The UCA bolt on the driver side would be better attacked if you drop the front DS. The same UCA bushing on the axle is in a thick mount and needs some work to get it out and then back in.

Above all else, someones always here to help
Old 11-02-2010, 05:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by Pit1981
PB Blast for a few days before you start.It will help.Breaker bar is gonna be a must if your in the rust belt,,,,,tighten and untighten stubborn bolts a few times before you finally go for it
Old 11-02-2010, 05:53 PM

Year: 98
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by Skunkape
PB Blast for a few days before you start. tighten and untighten stubborn bolts a few times before you finally go for it
Also excellent advice
Old 11-02-2010, 05:58 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

^x2 Tighten, loosen, and squirt PB on stubborn nuts and bolts, plan on using the PB for more than just a couple of days, if you have any serious rust.