Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Broken bolts! >:(

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 08:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline 6
Default Broken bolts! >:(

Me and my dad started my 3 inch rc lift today. we got the front on smoothely. but as always, there has to be some big messups. we started on the back and we broke off the bolts that hold the shock in. how should i deal with this?

also, anyone else have a hitch that put on a lift? did you have to take it off?
Old 06-13-2010, 09:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 Straigh 6

Originally Posted by moundhill
Me and my dad started my 3 inch rc lift today. we got the front on smoothely. but as always, there has to be some big messups. we started on the back and we broke off the bolts that hold the shock in. how should i deal with this?

also, anyone else have a hitch that put on a lift? did you have to take it off?
there are many post on here about the rear shock bolts breaking. just use the search
Old 06-13-2010, 09:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Is a full leaf pack or AAL? You might need to remove the hitch if you are replacing the shackles. If it is a AAL, you don't, because you don't need to remove the springs. For the broken shock bolts, very common. You'll need to get an exctractor. you can drill them out and then use a nut and bolt, or do a BPE.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by 93gc40
Is a full leaf pack or AAL? You might need to remove the hitch if you are replacing the shackles. If it is a AAL, you don't, because you don't need to remove the springs. For the broken shock bolts, very common. You'll need to get an exctractor. you can drill them out and then use a nut and bolt, or do a BPE.
Definitely go for some BPEs (Bar Pin Eliminators). You can make a home made set from the rear sway bar links by bolting them to the body and using a grade 5 or 8 bolt through the shock mounting hole.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by 93gc40
It's full leaf
Old 06-13-2010, 09:48 PM

Year: 1998

Just had this problem. I broke my shock bolts. With some anger and a BFH. I used my upper shock bracket to hold my iron rod in place while i beat on it with the hammer. It will take a bit of hitting to punch the old bolts out, Take a fishing leader ( you can use some wire like everyone else but i like to fish hahaha) and feed it through the hole where your bolt was and pull it through the next large hole in the sub frame. Tie some fishing wire on the tip of your replacement bolt and pull it into the old hole. Now you just tighten up a nut on it by hand so that you can tighten it up with your socket. I thought it would turn like your thinking but it does work. Make sure to put some anti seize or some white lithium grease on it to stop it from rusting up again
Old 06-13-2010, 10:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

If you can get your hands on a welder weld a nut to the boken bolt. If not drill a hole in the middle and use an extractor to get it out. Spray WD40 on it first.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:22 PM

Another way to get the rear spring bolts out is to spend the $5 it may cost and buy two bolts. Pull the old ones out until it is almost touching the hitch, then cut off the bolt close to the shackle. Use a punch and hammer, and hit the piece out that is still inside the bushing. Then just install the new bolt the opposite way, put the bolt in from the outside so the nut is on the inside. My hitch was way too much work to remove so I just worked around it.